Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Third day in a new school

My friend Cindy has asked me today if my passion for teaching is back. She told me that if I can get in touch with the basics of teaching, then my passion is back. She could hear in my voice the fun with the students I am having. She first asked me to help her out in the school in January. I didn't want to because there were somethings I want to try. It was only until the end of the term that I decided I should go and try it out anyway.

This school is notorious. Very bad ranking and didn't appear on the charts until the last two years. It didn't make it to top 20 but made it to top 100s. I think.

I was prepared for them. And the first thing I heard was noise. Everywhere! And I am not quite accustomed to too much noise.

The first class was a sec 2 Normal class. Oh they tested my patience. I enjoyed it though because I didn't once flare up. I allowed the beautiful girl with pierced tongue and a pierced eyebrow and a pierced chin to sleep throughout the one hour lesson. I didn't even wake her up. When the boys nearest the windows alerted me to the sleeping beauty, I told them that as long as she didn't bother them, they should allow her to rest. Then there were boys who would talk non stop. I stopped them and pulled them apart. There was really no idea of the existence of other people. The class on the whole gave up and couldn't be bothered with the rest. No wonder teachers cannot teach anymore. These students like to shout out loud everything as if the rest of the world was deaf!

I told them I wanted only a meagre existence and so they should not try to test my patience. I didn't tell them where I was from. It was of no use to them where I was from because they probably think I was just one of the teachers who come in and out of their lives. Better yet, one of those who won't bother with them. And I am not going to.

The next class was a Sec 3 class. They sized me up immediately and I waited for my moment to strike. I told them where I was from and they all sat up straight. I also told them I am here to teach and want to teach well. They sat up further. Of course there were the usual challenges but I managed to grab their attention. I began my lesson on the Japan earthquake although I am to teach coast. One asked what has that got to do with coast. I told him, in just a minute how important it was. Thank God for the ability to think on my feet and I round up my lesson nicely.

I brought up the fact that I was just amazed how come Japan did not even take extra precaution with such a straight coastline at Sendai. I also wondered if there was any form of protection from tsunami since this is an earthquake area. From there I moved on to my natural self. I talked about God. I told them what I heard on Sunday. That God first sent messenger and then He sent animals and finally He will strike. They all sat straight up. And then the bell rang. So timely.

Yesterday was busy. I had another challenging class. This time it is the sec 3N. This is the tail end of all the bad hats of the level. The minute I walked in their brows are crossed except for a few students. As of next lesson at least 8 students will be taken out. I told this group that I only earn 20 dollars an hour and to please make it easy for me to teach. I also told them I am only interested in teaching them and not wanting any trouble. Those who don't wish to learn can follow their relief teacher that taught them last term. These people rejoiced.

I rejoiced too. I hope that when they see their friends improve in their learning they will want to learn. That was why I arranged the class this way. No students are short changed because I work very closely with the relieft teacher who is waiting for university to start. Together we can make our students work for the better.

I thank God that He walked into the class with me each day. I cast all my cares on Him and He guided my steps.

Yesterday I also managed to get my beauty queen to wake up and excited about agriculture...ahahha. She even answered my question. I thank God I made a connection with her yesterday. She has a whole ton of problems. I will take care of myself first before I take on anyone's problems.

Today I only had two periods with 3E3. This class was really very nonchalant. Then my lesson began. I taught about Japan and explained what actually happened. And then I talked about the coast, the action of waves etc. I showed them two diagrams and they have to look at the diagrams and try and decipher which wave is destructive and which wave is constructive. I praised some very good answers and their ears perked up. At the end of the class a few girls came to me and started to chat about my lesson. One tall fella actually sneaked passed me and told me he enjoyed the lesson. And during my lesson, I woke one girl up from a deep sleep to hear what I had to say. That was the highlight for me. She got up, sat, and listened and then put her head down again. But another girl sat up from her deep sleep and sat right through my lesson.

The class was rather eager to see what I had done for my wikispace and they will see it tomorrow.

Did I have my passion in teaching back? I must say this, I still can teach. But the passion is not really there.

I had more fun with BJ and Aaron because teaching these two young adults has become the highlight of my week. Tonight as I taught them about tsunami, we talked about God again. BJ was awfully quiet. And as I talked about how Tokyo has sunken 40 inches and the entire northern part of the island has dropped in elevation moving northwards, both of them were shocked. Not only that, the Pacific Plate at the point of rupture actually dove 9m into the Eurasian plate and that generated a lot of stress along the plane of rupture. There will be another aftershock according to geologists and scientists because there is added stress as a result of such a deep dive.

When the bible says God will move islands, who would think of Japan being moved. And God moved it 2.4m closer to North America. In such a short span of time, Japan is now closer to NAmerica by 2.4. What can God not do? Nothing.

Because of this fact, I continue to believe that God will wrought a mighty work amongst His people. I hope BJ and Aaron will join me this Good Friday at church to hear the gospel. They are such nice people. They buy me coffee and they are not working adults. Their one desire is to do well and then find a better job.

They told me to give up on the horrible students because they must learn the hard way. Aaron told me that these kids when they reach 18, they will know the reality of life. That reality check is that once you don't study, you don't have an education and you won't get a job. I wish they can tell them for me. Nothing like real life examples staring at them.

After school today, I drove to Toa Payoh to get Seok Fun some porridge to help her eat better. I dropped it at the door and am please that she could share with her daughter. Praise God for today. He is simply marvellous. 

Tomorrow will be another exciting day. I may not have my passion back but I am certainly enjoying the interaction with the students. I don't have enough energy to entertain problem kids now. So I will just drop the matter. Now off to bed. I am tired again!