Thursday, March 24, 2011

The "Normal" students!

I have two hours and each hour is spent with "Normal Academic" students. The first hour was with the sec 2 class. There were many who were more than willing to run to the relief teacher. He is a young man who did very well in Geography and awaiting for university admission. Very well built and I heard my HOD praised him for his good work on his biceps. But the rest of the students were happy not to go because apparently he was too nice and the class was noisy. So they wanted peace. There were a few boys who didn't get to go with the relief teacher and were rather unhappy with me for keeping them. They put up a long face and I told them too bad they don't always have a choice. By the end of the lesson, these boys are handing up their work because if they don't finish, they don't get the break! Aha!

Then come the secondary 3 Normal students. On my way to the class, there was a teacher shouting at an Indian student. And I heard some Chinese students shouting about the Indians. Apparently there is an Indian gang in this school and they take turns to bully the different races in the school. These boys are in my Geography Class. Hahaha. But I sent them to my relief teacher with biceps! Aha. I am relieved indeed. The indian student who was disciplined came rushing into my class and demanded that I sent him to the relief teacher. He put on a pose as if he wanted to beat me up. I looked calmly at him and asked if he wanted to punch me. He shouted that he wanted to know where he was going and I realized he had to stay in class. He strongly protested and marched off the class shouting he didn't want to study. Later I was told he suffered from ADHD and is without medication because his parents refused to put him on. I really couldn't be bothered with him and didn't even stop him. I am very firm about this. I will not tolerate people who don't wish to learn. They can go.

The class has less than 10 students and it was so good. The students in my class today told me they are so grateful the other students are gone. Those who prefer to study told me that they have resorted to cursing the noisy group but to no avail. This group who wants to study were totally discouraged. As a result, they gave up trying to do something until I walked into class. I also made a breakthrough with three Chinese boys. One from China and I used my mandarin to converse and told him not to waste time coming all the way from Guangzhou and not making it for himself. Another boy cannot wait for me to start because he wanted to learn.

The day finally ended. I was happy that the rest of the students were following me. They even open up and we could chat a little about our lives in general. 



As I stroll down the corridor towards the staffroom, students are beginning to greet me by name. These are taught by me. And it was nice to know. But I was ignoring all the noise and the shoutings in the entire school. I am also asking students who shout in class at the slightest if they are deaf or the rest of us are deaf. Then these students tone down. I noticed that teachers in the school use microphones to teach. That was why the students are also shouting.



I use my voice. And unfortunately for me, I had sore throat before the week started and I am still fighting a flu I had since Friday. Therefore I am exhausted. Not to mention I have to battle some other stuff. Thank God He sees me through. God is good all the time. He defends me when lies surround me. He sends light to the darkness around me. He walks with me as I search His word and prays to Him.


There is still much to be done for the people I love. This week is almost ending and I am already ready for the next week.

Before the day ended, I received a pleasant phonecall. It was an answer to my prayer as I woke up this morning. Will share when all materialize.


Have a great weekend.