Saturday, April 24, 2010

How is your Patmos?

Revelation part 2 began with chapter themes from Revelation chapters 1to 11. I didn't prepare at all because I was so ill last night. I didn't believe how bad it was. My family kept watch over me. My sister slept next to me. I went to two doctors on the same day and told me that if I had any fever last night, I was to go straight to A and E. I didn't think my diabetes was that bad but it is. Thankfully, God kept me alive. I crawled out of bed to go get breakfast for the group because my friend didn't check her messages and probably no one brought any food. Thank God another person by the same name as I brought some bee hoon and with what I bought, we fed about 40 people. 

I was on Patmos this past weeks. One thing after another has made me rather sick of school. Today I was reminded about John, having been tortured with oil and exiled on this island that has nothing (even today), not even a tree except a small cave, getting so close to God. He didn't give up believing in Jesus and he continued to trust that there were reasons why he suffered so much. He persevered and Jesus revealed Himself to John encouraging John of the things to come.

I looked at my Patmos. There was not much here too, except a lot of anger, a lot of deceit and a lot of work. I asked why things that were so unfair are happening to me. Most days I am very fed up. Some days, I can only laugh at the little that is there. So today I hope to see a little glimpse of what I can find in my Patmos. I don't have a cave. But I do have God. With Jesus, any accusations are just not so painful. With Jesus, all lies just don't stand. With Jesus, any hatred for that someone seems further away.

John didn't look around this barren rocky island he was in. He turned his eyes on Jesus. And I shall turn my eyes on Jesus too.

I thought for the whole day about what God wants me to learn on my Patmos. I have learned that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I learn on my Patmos that no matter how evil things can get, there is always a group of brothers and sisters in Christ who will pray for me. I am thankful for three Christians teaching with me. I like it so much when I can ask them to pray. We openly discuss about our students and how we will pray for them. Of course this is done amongst us when we have lunch. On my Patmos, I have Christians who are concerned about principles, godly principles. So it is not so bad. 



Thank You Lord for all that you have blessed me with. Thank you for the doctors who helped me. Thank you for my family. Thank you for my Christian colleagues. Thank you for my Christian students too.