Saturday, April 10, 2010

Who are the Overcomers?

I was told that the parents of one of the girls is going to complain about my actions on Friday. I am not worried. I let GOD handle this because He is my GOD and I will overcome whatever I need to overcome. If it be that I leave, then so be it. I have peace because I know everything happens the way GOD wants it to be.

Today's lesson at Precept was good. I drove to Calvary Baptist for the lesson and I only did up to day 2 of the Study of the 10th and last lesson of Part 1 of Revelation. I read up a bit about overcomers. But I didn't expect Timothy, our facilitator to ask if ALL believers are overcomers. It kind of got me to think a lot deeper than whatever we read on the study. So who are the overcomers? I thought it was quite clear who we are. So I told the class after everybody chipped in on what is an overcomer, that we will all eventually be overcomers. 


But we need to establish if the overcomer is a believer or not. Hmm. That is tricky. If you believe in Jesus then are you an overcomer too? So it becomes what is the notion of believe... In the Bible a belief must bring about an action that corresponds and demonstrates the belief. So what about Satan? Does he believe in Jesus? Then we have to ask if Satan does what the Lord says. And Satan doesn't do what the Lord says to do. So Satan knows Jesus. But he doesn't believe as his actions don't show he believes that Jesus is GOD. If he does, he will worship Jesus. So a believer will be one that truly follows and do the will of GOD. Once this is established, we have to check out on being an overcomer.

Can we be a christian and yet not overcome anything? This was the question I asked. Not answered at all. May be it is dumb. I reckon if you are a truly born again Christian and a true child of God, you will want to overcome whatever is laid before you. 

I reminded the class that Christians are not saints. We are sinful and careless and horrible persons too. The only difference is that we want to follow Jesus and His teachings. We believe He is our GOD. And Bee Yen brought up the fact of progressive sanctification. There will be purging of our souls and building of our character until He comes for us. So we grow strong progressively with each test and trial and tribulation.



Bob Vreen our bible study teacher from Texas via video tape spoke on the birth marks of an overcomer. Besides being true in conduct to the Lord, the overcomer is truly repentant and will regenerate his life. Old things are passed away and behold all things are become new. There will be an rebirth and a total positive change in personality and outlook in life and one in which Christ is the centre.

We, as Christians need to learn to identify each other by the birth marks. 

So I have peace. Peace that I don't own because the world is indeed troubled. 

I looked around me, the people are troubled. Some of us don't know where to go, what to do, what to eat, or where to eat. These trivial became important when we are totally lost in our own tiny world of material worth. But I have peace. Not getting a bonus doesn't bug me anymore. Not getting any rewards from people for the good I did doesn't bug me anymore. Because I know..I will be rewarded when I see Jesus face to face.

And to add one more thing. The Lord used the 7 churches to teach us that no matter where we are at in our daily walk with Him, He will help us overcome. He actually teaches HOW to be an overcomer. Even to those who don't believe He extends this welcome to be an overcomer. Such is our Loving Father, Wonderful Saviour and a Generous Holy Spirit. All three waiting patiently for us to turn to Him. I was also taught today it is not up to us to go or not to go to GOD. It is GOD who will in us to know Him. For those who don't know the Lord, I pray GOD will draw you to HIM. Because unless He invites you, you will not be able to taste of this goodness I have been talking about. 



So come Lord Jesus, come! Invite all those who have not tasted of YOUR goodness to come. Place that desire to know YOU in all their hearts. Come!