This morning I created a big scene in school again. This time, it was because two girls were "invited" to join my class for Business Studies to watch how another student in my class would disturb, tease and humiliate the teacher. When asked why did they even accept the invitation, skipped their Physics class to do that, they both said it was for fun. Well, I showed them what fun was. I blasted them and the interesting thing was when I did that, the rest of the class was very quiet and girls started tying up their hair and boys tucked in their shirts. I walked the girls to my class and asked who of them all invited the girls. One hand came up.
I got them to call their parents and I didn't give them any explanation. The boy from my class didn't know why he invited the girls except for fun. So I asked what the fun was. Then I told the boy he could quit school and have all the fun he wanted and I asked the girls if they were having fun now. They were more worried I would expel the boy.
The mother of one girl was not happy I yelled on the phone when I called her but I was really agitated by the attitude of her daughter. She came rather quickly and then stopped me from disciplining my student, the boy, the leader and said I should give him a chance to explain. She saw how terrified he was but actually he was not terrified, he was angry that I refused to listen. I don't wish to listen because the explanation given was he wanted some fun. What more should I listen to? Anything else is rationalizing. And I don't wish to allow them to rationalize their actions.
What they did was unacceptable because they were watching how another student put down the teacher. Although the teacher is not the best. But still he teaches and is part of the team of teachers. If I endorse this behaviour, I am endorsing that they should not value whoever walks in to teach.
The problem is also my students in the class allow these two girls to intrude and they did nothing about it. Why are they so apathetic? What is wrong with them?
You would think my day would have a better turn. But no. I had to bring a group to the Singapore museum. One China girl refused to go. She told the teacher of her class that she is a Chinese national and she doesn't have to study Singapore History. I waited for the whole level to assemble and then I exposed her in public. I didn't mention her name but her class knew. What I asked if we should endorse this behaviour, I heard the name RACIST. Well, later I heard that girl did not complete the history test because it doesn't concern china history.
You would think these students spend so much money to study, to salvage whatever pride they have to come and study and will focus. Well, they are not doing very well. I met one student at the museum. He was from EM3. He never did anything like math, chinese or science in Primary school. He went to Normal Technical and because he got the chance to study our programme, he came to our school. Instead of studying in Sec 3, he is now in Sec 2. He treasures this second chance. But the rest are not sure why they are there.
I am not afraid of the discipline problems. But I am getting tired of doing and dealing with such juvenile stuff. I have to focus only on students who want to work and are well mannered. The students can if they want to, to become a better person. I always believe if I cannot be effective in helping the student learn, I should leave. This afternoon, the boy who invited the girls told me I am wicked. I laughed. Because I know that I am not.
I have been called worst names, Bitch, super bitch. And these names don't stick. I know who are mine and who are not.