Sunday, May 02, 2010

The message to the 7 churches

The messages to the 7 churches was revisited in our Precept class on Saturday. This time it was done with a look at the practical message to each of us from the seven churches. I like the view it took and so let me share with you.

To the first church at Ephesus, Jesus told this church that they did everything seemingly right. They were disciplined, persecuted and very zealous for the Lord. Yet God had something against them. Jesus said they have left the first love. I asked myself this question as I looked at my life and the kind of churches around or those I have been to if we are not guilty of leaving the first love for Jesus. I found myself to be wanting in this area. Everything I did, I did it because of my own head knowledge of what is the right thing to do. Everything is guided not by what the word of God says but what I was taught to do. Scary it may sound but many times, it is not what we do but why we do it that matters. Why do I bother to defend the faith? I should just stop and ask myself what am I doing and for what purpose and for whom. Life can be so auto that we just have to push the stop button so we know why we are doing what we are doing. To leave the first love of God is a deliberate act. It is a conscious decision to want to walk away from God's presence and into our automatic lifestyle. I need to take my walk with God slowly and not to be so caught up with the motion of life. Life wheels on but it is time to stop and think why do it.

The church at Smyrna did the right thing. It was persecuted for the Lord. And Jesus did not chide this church. Instead Jesus encouraged them. Herein lies the message...Am I persecuted for my faith. Not the stupid things we do that got us persecuted. That is not persecution, that is called consequences of our thoughtless actions. Have I been persecuted for my faith? Not recently, not for a long time. Why? Because I have stopped to do the RIGHT THING. The right thing is to honour my God and to follow His teachings and convictions. 

Then comes the church of Pergamum. This church was teaching two false doctrines. One false doctrine allowed the immorality and idolatry into the church. People in this church tolerated these teachings although they followed God. Another teaching was that the church had to have hierarchy, teaching that some people should be more superior. I have been to churches that are very divided over the church leadership and paid too much attention to the pastor that made the pastor like God and will not welcome any layman to the church. This ranking is very divisive and satanic. I have to ask myself if I tolerate some of these doctrines when I sit and listen to the preachers at the pulpit. I have to ask if I check my sources with the word of God before allowing what was preached every sunday into my heart. There are churches today that make you feel so good when you leave but not equip their own congregation with the word of God and skills to search for truth within His word.


The fourth church is Thyatira. This church had false prophets. Teachers who taught them the wrong things about God and that everything with God can be compromised. The people in Thyatira also had to join trade unions in order to sell food and buy food. So if they really wanted to survive, they had to compromise their beliefs. But is that what we should do? Have I compromised my faith and gave in to some beliefs I should not stand for? Have I been afraid to speak up against those false teachers? Once I had a friend who told me that I cannot die yet because I have not spoken in tongues. I asked him why I have to do that before I die? He told me if I never ever spoken in tongues, I will go to hell. I turned and looked at him and said this "I am afraid that you are a heretic. God didn't say we have to speak in tongues to have eternal life. He said that there is only one way and that is through the grace of God, in His son Jesus." He never spoke to me after that. I don't miss him too.



Then there was the church at Sardis. It was a church that listened to what others said about them and were comparing themselves with what was said. Have I been comparing myself to what others said? First, I think I should ask myself if those that said things about me are close to me and have a genuine interest in my welfare and walk with God. If they do that, I will listen and check against God's standards. I must learn to listen to what God has to say about me.


The church at Philadelphia was the second church that Jesus did not chide. Instead Jesus encouraged them. This was a missionary church that believed in saving the lost. Have I then been saving the lost? Have I visited the fatherless, the motherless and the widowed? I must do that soon while I still have breath. This morning while I sat down to have breakfast with dad, a lady turned and looked at me. I sat there for more than half an hour already but it was then she turned and asked me for two dollars to eat. She didn't look dirty. She looked normal, could cycle herself from a place some 20 minutes walk away. I told her I will not give her money but I will buy her food. She asked for a bowl of noodles of three dollars. I bought that for her. Then she turned to a Filipino maid and asked for another two dollars. It was then that I told her to go home and not ask for any more money. She is deranged because dad saw her do that many times. But I told dad that it is better to be wrong than to be sorry. To me, three dollars is not a small amount but if I can feed her today, I thank God for that because when I quit, I may have to go look for my own lunch money. hahaah.

Finally the church at Laodecia. It was a church that seemed to be christian but they didn't allow God to work in their lives. Going to church became the norm but not doing what Jesus would have done, visit the fatherless, motherless and the widow. They were caught up with their own dinner parties, cell group parties and everything making themselves rich. I have been to very rich churches with long tables of luncheon for the members. They spend a lot of money to provide for the congregation and no one goes out to share the gospel. How would I know? Because there are no other ministries except their own church members. What happened to people outside the church? Most of the church doors in Singapore are closed from Monday to Friday. A side door may occasionally open to allow members to come and pray. But no one reaches out these days. And that includes me. Have I been so rich with material wealth that I forget to share the gospel with the poor and the down and out? God forbid.

I hope this sharing will cause you and I to ask some deep questions about how we are walking with God. I learn a lot from Miss Ng. At 77 she has shown me that a life committed to serving God is all worth it. What lasts is what we have done for Christ and Christ alone. Why do I want to do it? I will ask myself everyday from now on. If not for Christ, I will not want to do it anymore.


Have another great week!