Have you ever written a composition in your primary school days on the title "A Picnic"? Well, I hated the topic. This was because I have never ever got one until I was in secondary school. My parents were too poor to afford us travelling to the beach and moreover we have the bright sun with us all the time. So I often avoided this topic when it comes to composition time.
I decided that my nieces should not suffer the same fate. So, just on Monday, I took them to the Changi beach. Now my nieces have something to write about. Then it dawned on me that my kind of picnic is very much different from those in the Western Hemisphere. You see, I don't have to bring a basket with me and I don't have to throw a big floor mat. I simply can buy packets of chicken rice, packets of soft drinks and then some newspaper to sit on the floor and it will be a picnic. But of course I didn't do that. I do it like the West except my sister has to go to the NTUC to buy some bottles of mineral water. My nieces enjoyed themselves playing near the shores as it was very high tide. My sister helped me clear up the area while I busy myself with the girls. Three hours later, I drove them home. Short and sweet and memorable.
I believe in bonding as a family and creating memories for my little ones in the house. So I create opportunities such as a picnic for them to store. Even when mum was ill and dying, our family moto was to create memories for the children with her inside. I don't want anyone of my nieces and nephews to ever forget what a great grandmother she was to them all. She never laid a finger and she always gave her utmost. Last night when my sister's kids were here after dinner, I talked about my mum to Theodora. Theodora was always mum's favourite and we wondered if mum would be happy to see her so rolly polly. Theody told me that mum will be very happy and she gave her little cheeky smile.