Tuesday, June 16, 2009

To the doctor's office

I fasted the night before for my blood test this morning. I hate needles and everytime the doctor's draw some blood from me, my hands will just clamp up.

But I kept my promise. I will go see the doctor. Well, today I got up and got ready for the test. Dr Tan was my family doctor for about 5 years. She is a very nice lady. Before I went on my trip to Taiwan, I contacted her about the blood test. I also told her my condition and she was concerned. I told her I would visit before I left for Taiwan but I really didn't have the time. So upon my return and having rested and also thought through, I summoned enough courage to go for the test. Her office is in Paragon. I had a hard time trying to figure out which floor. I went to the seventh floor but couldn't find her office. Then I went to another lift on the seventh floor to go to the 19th floor only to be told I was in the wrong tower. Now, by then it was already 1030 and when I finally found the Tower C to go up to the seventh floor, I found out there were like 3 different offices housed within the same floor. I found it round the corner and when I asked for her, I found out she was on a week's leave.

I was speechless. I wanted to laugh and rush to go for my lunch but I decided not to waste my fast and so I called dad. He came to pick me up and whipped me off to another of my family doctor, Dr Lee. He is another wonderful doctor I called before I left to talk about my diabetic condition. His office was tucked in the corner of a block in Jurong West. He is a Christian and I remember when mum was very sick, he would pray for us and for her. So I trusted his instructions and he is always very patient with me. In fact he told me to do a degree in medicine that I could get from an online course. Although the course will not make me a doctor but will help me with medicine. And he was not joking about this.

Dad came along too because of his stubborn cough. Dr Lee saw both of us together and actually came out to welcome us into his office. He saw me first and drew my blood and put into 4 tubes. I also told him about my vision and at that he was startled. He wanted me to go for another test for my eyes in case they are worsen by my diabetes. One of the things I fear most is to go blind and I really have trouble seeing straight. Although it could be my long sightedness but I find my eyes having a hard time focusing and this has happened before when my blood pressure is abnormally high.

Dad was very eager to see him and actually sat on my chair waiting for his turn. Dr Lee has to tell him to wait because I have a more serious case. I will know the results next week and I guess we will go from there.

After the whole procedure, I came home exhausted. I actually took a cat nap before going for dinner. Tomorrow I am off to Malacca with my sister's family and my dad. All I know is that Malacca is extremely hot. Friends have asked me to slap on and be drenched in sunblock. Not my kind of a holiday because I really don't like to be fried. But anytime with Theodora and Tiffany will be good time. Theodora is so excited that she called me this morning to remind me about it. It is the first time I am going on a holiday with my girls and I hope to have a good time.

I am reading this book on changes that heal by Henry Cloud. I hope to finish before school starts. School will start soon. We are still waiting if it is confirmed we have one more week. Some are waiting eagerly for it to begin. I am hoping it will close for another week. What about you?