When I first started work, I learned to use the word processor. I think it was called Wang. I had to go for training by the secretary of my company and then I get a certificate for simple functions like delete, enter and insert. Then when I started teaching, I used the computer. You may not know this but I actually went to learn about basic programming. I did okay. In fact my boss in my company was trying to teach me some computer languages too. But I was really not interested. But I like technology.
Then when I went to study in Calgary, I used my first computer at Bonita's. She had the Apple Classic. That small tiny cute computer lasted me quite long until I finally got to buy my own. Another apple LC475. I brought it home when I graduated but I blew the monitor...LC475 still sits in my house.
Very quickly I was rushed into schools and I was introduced to the world of PCs. It was a piece of cake for me to pick up the functions of the PC and I learned PPT within 30 minutes with animation and adding pictures and photos. The RGS colleagues who were in my team then trained me to do it right on the spot. I did the ppt and I was shocked at how easy PCs were.
I used the PCs for years until about 3 years ago, I decided I want to use the MAC again. I bought a MAC. Am a fervent believer that it is a good machine. Slick and smart looking. May be it is a cult. But it is the genius behind the Apple that I come to like.
What I love about Steve Jobs is his resilience against all odds. He has a temper. And he was proud. But there was one thing I love about him. He was willing to eat the humble pie and then rise up again. At first he lost all the respects of his partners and all those who ever worked for him. And he never expected that he would be booted out one day. He was not deterred from the setbacks of being fired by the person he employed to help run his company. He was ashamed. And he wanted to run from the valley. But he found he still loved what he did. So he started another company. Such honesty is what I like about Steve Jobs. He is honest about his failures. People like to hide this part about their lives. Some people live with a lot of secrets hoping these secrets will never catch up with them. But not Steve Jobs. He publicly acknowledged his failures and then he started up again...from scratch.
I like the fact that he enjoyed starting anew. Because I am starting anew and there are many things I also don't know. And he is right. It is at the moment when you don't know anything that you are more willing to try and explore.
Steve Jobs did not waste any time. He enjoyed what he learned. When was the last time you enjoyed your lessons?
I still remember fondly some of my art history lessons with my art professor at the U of C. This was the course that no Asian students ever scored a distinction and was exempted from exams just after two midterms. Dr Bershad would not allow tape recording and his questions were pieces of art work we had to interpret. I enjoyed his lessons very much and I aced the tests. I still remember all he taught.
I also took Spanish, a language course no Singaporeans would take because it was not a course you could get a distinction. Well, I didn't. But I love the course. My lecturer was a Latina lady who would come in with her tarot cards and tell our fate if we went to her. I never did. But I liked the cookies she baked for our class every Friday.
Of course I love my Geography courses. And my Psychology courses. I love all the courses I took at the U of C except for one. Ironically it is the Psychology course on MOTIVATION. I was not motivated at all to understand how to motivate. Although I did okay, I worked so hard that I remembered most of the stuff. Not because I like it. But I worked hard for it and didn't do well. It got stuck in my brain.
Strangely it is all those I took that was not required that I found to be most enjoyable. I like the way my university want us to have an overview of things and not to be so streamlined to our majors.
Steve Jobs taught me to view education differently. I agree that what is important is to enjoy the learning process. Unfortunately most of us who stepped into the class, we are burdened with results and lack of time in our hands to interact with our students to engage their minds.
For the past few days, I have been kept busy with new tasks for me to work on and I am learning. Actually with my flu, I am surprised I could think. I just threw a link and I got the subject head very excited. Today I was told that I am given the task to groom the entire sec 1s next year. Err....wait a minute... I think my plate is very full!
I think the success of Steve Jobs as a person and inventor is his ability to do what he likes best. He learned best in what he liked best. He enjoyed art, calligraphy and computing. His mind must always be asking questions. He also never asked if what he learned then would be useful. It all became so useful later on in his life. So learn things that you like and not just stay safe. Do you want a job? Or do you want a vocation? There is a difference. If we want a job, we are going to suffer in the long run. You can be fed but not for long. When your wind runs out because you don't have passion, you will run on empty. But if you have a vocation, even if there is no more wind, you will go get the wind to keep on running.
People who question are often regarded as troublesome. Steve Jobs could be troublesome. But when he stopped asking questions, what will the world become? I wonder...