Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tough Sunday...

This weekend I have to send off two very special people. Aaron leaves tonight. He told me not to go because he was afraid he would be very upset. Well, I was already crying at home when I read his message. It was difficult to send anyone off for me. My policy is always to say HELLO. 

The last time when Bonita sent me off after my graduation. The last hug was devastating. I sobbed in the toilet for so long and could not breathe. From then on, I will not hug anyone before I fly home. I am of course much better with age.  Tomorrow Peck San leaves for UBC. I will not be sending her too. Waiting for her to get back from Vancouver and we will go for crabs again.


The sermon today was about PAIN. Can we emerge better and not bitter about the pain that GOD gives us? It was very thought provoking and a time of reflection for me.  GOD is telling me alot of things the past week.

Why did GOD give pain? Because pain is something GOD used to get our attention! It is His way of shouting to us...LISTEN! when we are not paying attention to the warnings HE gave. GOD intends to crush us and make us lowly so we can listen well.


People who are hurt, tend to hurt those around them. This form of selfishness takes the form of self pity and is a pride that is rather masked by depression. And WHY did GOD choose to crush us? Simply because He wants to send a revival. He wants to work a deeper work. It can only occur when we know that we need GOD and no one else to work in our tiny world. GOD needs to work in the humility so we can be lowly before him. Then He will heal our hearts and bring us closer to him. 

God also crushes us when He wants us to check what other gods are cluttered inside us. He wants us to surrender these gods so He can fully occupy our heart. You can say He is a jealous GOD. I can understand why GOD wants that to be done. Can you? Just think for a moment with me. If you study for your exams and your heart is not with you, what would happen? Often times we will do some other thing that study. So GOD wants us to know what is stopping us from drawing closer to Him. Is it the power we have over our work? The reputation? The glory of our successes? In the end can all these save you when you are overwhelmed by the storms of life? We have to ask ourselves this question. So GOD will strip these all bear. He did that for me and He showed me where I had fallen and He revealed the gods that are in my heart that ensnare me. 


God also crushes us so we can look ahead to the future. He promises to stay by our side if we let Him have His way in our lives. God's ways are never the way we thought of. Our ways are always so self centred and safe and predictable. God's ways are unfathomable.

As I reflected over the past months, I learn that I rather have Jesus. Really, everyone in the end will leave. I will be left alone. The storms of life will continue to come in drips. But God will stay through. And He is my Rock. He holds my future in His hand. I bow my heart to Him.

The song below was sung as the closing hymn of the day. I hope you enjoy listening and reflecting on the goodness of our God as the storms of our life find us.





And finally I want to add this about a short exhortation from my pastor. The results of the presidential election 2011 showed the country continues to be unhappy with some issues and want a say. But my pastor cautions us and wants to remember why government leaders are where they are. These leaders ARE CHOSEN BY GOD. God already want them to be there to rule and He sends angels to protect them. I voted because of one thing. I want a president to unify the parliament and to unify the people.  And the person I chose will fit the bill because God convicted me that he is the best choice. Yes, God convicted me. There is a time to rebel. There is a time to obey.

To all Christian Voters: Turn to Romans 13

1 LET EVERY person be loyally subject to the governing (civil) authorities. For there is no authority except from God [by His permission, His sanction], and those that exist do so by God's appointment. 
2 Therefore he who resists and sets himself up against the authorities resists what God has appointed and arranged [in divine order]. And those who resist will bring down judgment upon themselves [receiving the penalty due them].
3 For civil authorities are not a terror to [people of] good conduct, but to [those of] bad behavior. Would you have no dread of him who is in authority? Then do what is right and you will receive his approval and commendation.
4 For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, [you should dread him and] be afraid, for he does not bear and wear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant to execute His wrath (punishment, vengeance) on the wrongdoer.

Obedience unto GOD is the most important in our walk with Him. Obedience governs our heart. Disobedience is rebellion and God hates rebellion. Therefore, submit our leaders to God and submit ourselves to God. Pray for our leaders. May God surround them with people who can advise them wisely and may God grant them wisdom to rule us so that peace can continue to abound. 

I think my government will like me very much today...don't you agree?