It has been a long time since I met my class 4H1. On Wednesday, I drove back to just visit with them. I dropped by to visit Barry. Barry was already at the canteen. He was very glad to see me and so was Li Chi. I didn't inform any of my international students because I really didn't want to have so much attention. A short visit with Barry was great. We caught up a little on the things that went by almost a year now. Word would have gotten around about me in the school after Wednesday.
I sat and waited at the JC canteen for my students. As I entered the area where the canteen was, I met a few students. They greeted me. Some were glad to see me. Others just nodded. I met Gideon who wanted to tell me more about a missionary doctor to Yunnan but I had no time because the boys all came. I met Zhiyuan too. His back is better and he looked good.
When all of them gathered, we chatted. I forgot to buy food for them. Next time my treat. As usual the class, although ventured into different faculties of their choice was happy to see each other. I was so happy to see Clement. He is so bright and smiling. This is a Literature specialist. He writes well and he plays online games. I hope one day he will write a game to get students to like Literature. Then there is Oxford potential like Seow Yong Zhi. You have to address him with his last name. It sounds better. Of course I remember Edwin. The last time we met, I could not remember him. I was feeling terribly bad. I also forgot one name this time. Milton. But I cheated, I asked Yong Hwee. Milton is a lot quieter. He is always busy working behind the scene. Still does. I hope people recognize his effort because he is a dear.
Ah...then I have to make that speech about why they must do well. Why? Because no HP students are groomed the way we groomed them. They are purely HP and have a distinct quality because we trained them to think and to speak. Although they may not know this but we also paved their way to scholarships and deliberately set standards that were sometimes unreasonable and unattainable. The joy was to see them blossom and not be encumbered by these necessary mundanes of life.
Some have fletched their wings and took flight. Some are still drying their feathers and ready for take off this A levels. I met Nicholas Lui. How to forget this boy who promised to do well each term only to do worst. He had it bad with all his teachers and at this visit, he told me that he is no longer in the ICU list. He is in the clear. Good for him.
I didn't meet Benjamin Tang. I hope his handwriting is better or better still, much improved.
There are a few who wanted to be a doctor. One of them is Chuan yu. Wonder if he will do TCM or perhaps he found out that an overdue antibiotic didn't kill him afterall.
Ah...there is Nelson. Nelson is a scout. He is always so positive. He told me he wanted to go do finance. He will try investing after he finished his exams. I am glad he made the switch.
Gordon was late. He had class gathering. But the last to come was Ming. Ming looked so neat!! And now I could see him clearly. His mad bush was well trimmed. And he didn't carry his heavy bag. I am always worried about his back because his bag weighs more than a ton.
It was so good to see the boys. They have a duty. They must work hard and they must do well. Cannot look back. Can only look forward.
Before I left, I pulled Weidong aside. I am going to meet him again. Weidong is very special. Together with 10 others, I am his mentor. I have not visited with my 11 boys because I wanted them to settle in and now is the time to do something for them. I stand by my promise and commitment for my mentees. I wish all my mentees well and I will keep in touch.