I am now working for another school. The school is peaceful unlike the many I went. Some schools are quiet but not peaceful. I walk into a staffroom of teachers who are happy. Yes, genuinely happy with what they do and proud of it. The best part, NO YELLING! Everyone is respecting everyone in their work. No schemes. Only students and busy about how to help them.
I was tasked to work with the weakest in the school for SS. These students will be taking their O levels end of the year. As in all cases, they sized me up. Their faces light up when they sat in my class because there were few of them. I had more personal time and we had more talks, small talks to get them going about what is at the other end of the road. I challegned them to think about their future. People who plan are always better off than those who don't.
I met two boys from this class that was really nonchalant about life. One perpetually hangs his head down and most often times put his head on the table. He actually slept. I let him one day but I decided enough is enough. I had a talk with him and found out that he believes the teachers have given up on him. I made a deal with him. If he just only do two questions for SS, I will teach him geography. He kept the bargain and went beyond. He did 4 questions. The issue is not whether his answers are great. The issue is that he tried. So I kept my bargain and stayed back one afternoon to teach. I promised to set aside an afternoon slot just for him.
Another boy has been slacking until recently when I jolted him from his slackness. Inside him, he was already panicking about his O levels. The best defence is sometimes offense and he rejected every form of help until I shared about what would be ahead for him if he should continue to slack. What of his family he will be raising? Aha...I got his attention. I told the classes I taught that if they don't do well and work hard, they will not be able to convince their children when they are parents that their children have to work hard too. Some parents gave up on their children because someone down the road gave up on them. So they too will learn to give up in the future. The cycle perpetuates.
The latter boy did my work, came to see me and tried to see me. Sometimes I forget my appointments because these days I am so tired and my legs are giving me problem. They are in pain...weight? I don't know.
Yesterday I met the latter boy when I was on my way home. I gave him a ride to the station as it was about to rain. He told me when he was in my car that he did one of my work that I set online. He did it! For the first time, he read the textbook and thought about the work. Wow! This was such a blessing for me.
I am so glad that here, I can teach and see lives change everyday. It is a peaceful school. The students are pleasant and I also teach girls. The girls are sweet. Just very different from where I used to come from.
I might actually stay for good. May the Lord's will be done.
All these I typed in less than 10 minutes. That was fast!