One of the greatest pleasure of being a teacher is to have students who continues to be in your life even when they are grown. I thank God I have a few that have become very important in my life. I thank God that they are placed in my life for a purpose and to be there when I needed some reminders and help. One such student is Peck San.
We went way back into the 1980s. She was then a secondary two student in a prominent girls' school which was my very first school. We looked alike then. And she was my monitress for my form class and she was quite my helper to keep the class motivated. There were quite a few incidences in my class that got me really wound up and she was right there to help me. One of my girls in the class became extremely obsessed with me and had a nervous breakdown just two weeks before the exams. As a young teacher, I had no experience whatsoever about this and good thing I had Peck San who helped me through some very tough times.
I did not bring Peck San to church but always prayed that she would one day come to know the Lord because a special girl like her deserves to know the Lord. But I didn't know how to approach her so I gave her a book. Last night she took out the book when I was at her place cooking her dinner with Bee Yen. She showed me the book I gave her. All wrapped in plastic and with my handwritten message. She told me that it was this book that brought her to the Lord and I praised God for it.
She came to the same church where I attended but I did not take part in teaching her the bible because I felt she should learn from some one else. It was a big mistake I made and I regretted that I didn't make time to teach her. I left for Calgary and then I lost touch with her. All my six years in Calgary, I thought about her. I wondered if she adjusted well to the strict teachings of the church or if she did leave. But I could not get any news about her.
When I returned from my studies and went back to the former church, I was told she has left to join another church but they have no idea which one. I was really disappointed.
You would think I would have forgotten about her. Well, not so easy to forget some one so special.
We finally met on board a flight to Phnom Penh. Yup! I was going to Phnom Penh on my own to visit another student. I thought I heard her voice and saw someone that looked like her just as I was ready to board the flight. I was so sure it was her that I went row by row in search of her. I sat at the front row and so I sweep row by row before the plane took off. And then at row 50+ I found her and we were just delighted.
Till today we talked about this chance encounter. God took more than 10 years to answer my prayer and I finally found her. Today she is my good friend and someone who counsels me when I am stuck with some issues. She has helped me through some very difficult times and I want to thank God for her tonight.
Because she showed me the book I gave her, I realized that she came to know the Lord because of me. Wow! Today, Peck San is a strong and active believer. She is willing to give up her headship in a school to go into ministry. She is seeking the Lord as to where she should be serving during this one year break. I am really blessed to have a student who not only knows the Lord but wants to serve Him. Time and time again, God has proven to remain faithful and true to her despite my failing duty to watch over her. God took care of my business and continues to take care of Peck San even today.