It will be Mum's 71st birthday today if she was alive. Strangely the first news I saw on my handphone this morning was the announcement of my ex colleague's passing yesterday afternoon. In about two hours time, I will be paying my last respects to this great lady. She was a brilliant professor in urban geography and many a times when I was in her office at NIE and we would talk about the ideal school for our young people. Dr Ooi Giok Ling had suffered from colorectal cancer since July 2007. I was in shock when I heard the news and I was overwhelmed with sadness.
Yesterday afternoon, I also went to visit a friend. Siok Fung and I went way back into our young adulthood, evangelizing the neighbourhood, exploring working together in the Paya Lebar Airline House with SIA. Over time we grew apart, she got married, and I went overseas to study.
When I returned I never kept touch with any of my friends from church for a simple reason. I don't wish to be walking down the same legalistic path I was put through. I was particularly selective what churches I were to visit and the most important criteria is the God is preached and solid no social gospel please. I believe today's churches are filled with feel good messages. I think this is not good for the Christian soul because all of us Chrisitans have become so warm to our seats, we cannot get up and get going and go and bring the people who need God in our midst. Talk is really cheaper these days. Get Going!
Anyway when I heard Siok Fung is ill, I immediately wanted to visit her. She has pelvic cancer and since her operation, the cancer has spread to her liver. She is still undergoing chemotherapy. When I met her yesterday afternoon, she was just waiting to see me. We have not seen each other for at least 15 years. Her hair is all gone now. She looked good except for the annoying fever that goes up and down like a roller coaster. Like my mum, she wished she could go home yesterday. But the news is that she has to stay. I wonder if she is okay today. I told her to message me the minute she can go home, then I could go visit her in her home in Simei.
We chatted about the old days, the people we knew, the people we think are wicked and are still wicked. We also chatted about her family and my present situation. Two and a half hours later, when I was about to go, she opened up and showed how strong she truly is. She broke down and cried because she doesn't know how long she will live. She said, "It is not how many years you put into your life that matters. It is how much life you put into your years that matters!" I remember that when I went home. It is about living and not about when you will die. Life is only meaningful when we make meaning out of it.
She told me she never knew her husband could look after her that well. I always knew she would bully her poor husband. I knew the husband too. But we don't talk much because everytime when he opens his mouth, he offends people. He still does.
One thing I do learn is that like her husband and like all those who grew up with me and still remains in the church, they have not changed in some of the ways they judge people. Sad it is that they still feel drums are evil in the church music. But why are we quarelling over hair splitting issues like which is the most inspired version or the most holy music. God must be preached! Still the personal walk with Christ is of utmost important.
We can be chewing down the most inspired bible and still talk biblically but what is it like when only GOD sees you? What am I really like when no one sees me but GOD? That is when the true Christlikeness will come forth. I just hope Christians learn to think before they speak about GOD. Otherwise we will be implicated.
Back from the wake of Dr Ooi. I didnt' know she just stayed very close by my school. I was shocked by how close she was. I saw her lying quietly and smiling in her sleep. Her son, whom I mentored for a research paper was there with her husband, also a researcher. They were both devastated by her death and not sure what to do. Her son didn't want me to leave and wanted to talk to me. But I was with my colleague and a student who was mentored by Dr Ooi. So I told him I will message him when all this is over and I will remember. Her son is really not handling it well. If you can pray for the family, that will be best.
After I returned from lunch with my students, I called Alice and told her about what happened at the wake. Then Hwee Huang called me and she broke down to tears at the mention of Dr Ooi. But the best news of today is that Dr Ooi accepted the Lord a few weeks ago and she is now Home with the Lord. Praise God. The HSSE department in NIE prayed for her. And they got people to go down to speak to her and share with her the gospel. She is safe in the arms of Jesus. She is a great lady and I am sure she is glad to be home.
Mum is there too. Perhaps she can bring her around and they can both talk about me!