Sunday, October 11, 2009

Covenant!

This morning I want to thank God for Siew Lian. If not for her, I won't be involved with Precepts Bible Study and won't be able to learn from Kay Arthur. I find I begin to understand the Bible a lot more and what God's plan for all of us is about. 

God has laid a burden in my heart for my godsons. And this burden was rather consuming because it involves me doing a lot of work in my heart. I have never seriously looked at studying the word of God and much less want to teach it to anyone. I used to teach Sunday school and I disliked to do that because that would mean having to teach like 6 days in a week. I also realized that to be an effective sunday school teacher, I really have to study the word of God.

But the burden of teaching my godsons the word of God didn't go away. I found it difficult to tell them I need them to really know who they believe and this is vital because I don't wish to see them go to hell while I enter eternity. Neither do I want them to walk in the way of sinners and be seated at the seat of the scornful. So I have to tell them that I am insisting we study the Bible together.

Much to my surprise, they agreed to learn together with me. But what should I start with and how do I know that was the right study. God answered my prayer through Siew Lian. She just gave me the study of Covenant. Last week she asked me to read the book by Kay Arthur on the same title. And so I just get going with it. For about two months I knew I had to do covenant. But I was reluctant to start because there was just too much studying and work at school. I started to feel God's nudging each week at Precepts Bible Study to get going. How to meet the young men I have to teach? They are busy, I am busy. But all excuses! I could not delay anymore and I saw a lot of obstacles and was very tempted by many distractions around me. 


So I turned to the Lord and asked my godsons to pray. Pray that I will concentrate on learning and preparing the heart as well as the mind. I was unwell after that request. Then more temptations and more reluctance to go and get going and then many reasons not to start came to my mind. 

But thank God. Throughout last week and this week, I was reading and preparing bits and pieces. On an early Friday morning, I sent two emails to my godsons and got them to work on the material.


Saturday night, I came home and finished the part I had to do and found the treasure that I nearly missed if I had delayed further.



I learned about Covenant. I saw how Geography was applied to what I am reading. And really if you read the bible carefully, you will find that there was Gondwanaland. And God is very precise about what He wants. 


I learned in my study tonight that the number 7 is a number of completion. There are 7 seas, 7 colours in the rainbow, 7days in a week. And 7 in Hebrew means OATH. And they used 7 ewes to firm a treaty! And God's favourite number is 7 and my mother's favourite number is 7. When Chinese don't like 7, my family loves 7. My mum was born on the 7th of October and she went home to be with the Lord on the 14th July and all numbers divisible by 7 and my house number, including my block is divisible by 7. So 7 is a number for my family. 


God's covenant with MANKIND started at the garden of Eden. And this covenant God made with man that is everlasting began with the shedding of innocent blood. When God had to slaughter innocent animals to make skins so as to clothe Adam and Eve's nakedness. This covenant that is from everlasting to everlasting only demonstrates God's love for us all. To those who believe His great love will be eternal life.