Monday, October 19, 2009

The wake.

I was all ready to go for the wake. All planned as to what I would wear and what I would say or do. I finished dinner early and told myself I have to be there for the memorial service. I went to the taxi stand and there were no taxis. Finally after about 15 minutes, a cab arrived. But the old man took it first. He was in front of me. Then I prayed for another cab. 5 minutes later, it came. I popped in quickly. I told the taxi driver where I wanted to go. Pasir Ris street 41. I checked with dad the location. Even called Rebecca for it. Dad told me ALL taxi drivers know where it is. 

But this one doesn't! I was rather annoyed with him because I kept telling him I was going for the wake and I had to elaborate that my sunday school student passed away and still he went on how there was no street 41. I got really annoyed and so I asked him if he only drove the cab for a year and was new to the job. He told me he has been driving for 10 over years. So I asked him how come he doesn't know. He told me that the area I was going to is probably a place where most rich people live and they drive. What a ridiculous way of explaining his ignorance!

Anyway, good thing I am a geographer and I read maps and road signs well! I saw the street and told him where to go. And then he exclaimed he actually knew where because he SUDDENLY remembered. Utterly disgusted with him. But I think he could see fumes coming from my head and so he tried to placate by asking me stupid questions to which I ermmed and hmmed. Such an insensitive older man. Of course I have to forgive him.

I was early and the church she attended was getting ready for the service. I don't know who the husband was or if she had children. I just stared at the photo. She was clad in a red kimono and she looked so lovely in the wedding photo of hers.

The service was short. I was surrounded by people from Kay Poh Road Baptist Church and they sang only hymns. I couldn't sing. I was choking with tears and holding back as much as I could. I decided not to sing totally and listened.

Pastor Andrew Goh shared the message and he began by sharing about Joo Keng's life. Her condition worsened over the years. There were days she couldn't climb the stairs to attend sunday school because of the tremendous pain she has to bear. I found out from her husband later that she had a condition where her body forms scar tissue even with a little burst of blood vessels. I may be wrong because when I was listening to him, I was already in tears. Anyway her lungs were the last to go and she was in tremendous pain all the time. There were a few close calls and the church had to go down a few times praying for her and her family. Pastor Andrew Goh said that throughout all these years, neither Joo Keng nor her husband complained and blamed God for the misery. She told the pastor that she gladly bore the pain because she knows the Jesus will see her through and this was what she can do for the Lord. She never complained.


Before she left for heavenly home, she has some wishes. She wished her family, relatives will all come to know her God and Saviour. She told her husband never to forsake GOD and she wanted us all to see Turn your eyes upon Jesus. This is her favourite hymn. And I sang that loudly last night, knowing she can hear me.




When it was time to view her body, I didn't go forward. But I could see many teary eyes as they saw her one last time. 

After the viewing, I stood and waited for my turn to send my condolences to the husband. A man infront of me was so, so kind. He is Joo Keng's good friend. The husband was delighted and smiled when he heard his name. This man volunteered to baby sit her two children after school so that Joo Keng's husband (Eng Soon) can work and not be distracted. Can you imagine that.


Then it was my turn. I introduced myself and told him I was the one she met at the playground. He immediately jumped for joy and told me that the encounter changed her entire life. At that I burst into tears. I got hold of his numbers and I will catch up when he is more free to talk. He was just so tired.

I walked all the way to the Train Station from Street 41 and as I walked I sobbed. I cried because I just wished I had met her earlier and do something for her. Now I just have to retract. I cried because I never expected her to go before me. Most of all I cried because I realized GOD took care of her when I cannot and when I am not present. He really took care of His own sheep. 


I may have sowed the seed. I didn't have to reap any reward. And to see her so happily married with two lovely boys, I wished I was there to witness all the joy in her life. I can't wait to see her one day.

For now, I have to live and wait until God calls me and tells me "Hey, how about some rest. The mansion is ready for you." I will toil on.

I will be more careful with my encounter with anyone from now on. Whether it is just a cleaning lady or another child at the playground. I will make more effort to share that good news that Only Jesus saves. 

Joo Keng's assurance in God is so real. Even till death she knows Jesus is real. And it reminded me of how my mum raised her hand to heaven and prayed that "Jesus if you want me to live, I live. If you want me to die, I die." Whether we live or die as Christians, we gain.



But now, toil on.