Thursday, December 27, 2007

Home for the New Year!

Dear Friends
You cannot believe what it was like to fly over thirty hours non stop changing of flights with constant doubt if your luggage would end up in Singapore or would the next flight take off from within north america.

Emily and Bonita sent me off. Emily drove and we didn't get much sleep because we had a good chat. But I got up early and showered and then got ready to go. The aiport was packed.
My bags were too heavy at the Calgary airport. United Airlines told me that I could only carry 25kg per piece and I exceeded by 4 kg in one bag. I explained that I was flying home via MAS and they allow two piece baggages of 32 kg. Anyway, he insisted only passengers flying to Brazil would be allowed a max of 35kg or 70 pounds. I reluctantly re packed and got some down my already heavy back pack.

I didn't clear the customs without trouble. My bags were searched because they found me suspicious. I forgot to declare how much money I had left and when I told him this amount, he sent me to the room. One officer was particularly nice. He found out what I do and the other one was not so nice. He checked my camera and my money pouch. In the end, I was wished a safe journey and a happy new year.

I was so hungry on board United airlines. They don't serve any meals except drinks. They are willing to give you a whole can too. But I wanted food and I did pay Air Canada for the food and it appeared in the system. So I will have to check if I can get refund for meals I paid for and didn't get.

Reaching Chicago airport was not a problem. O'Hara airport is big but nothing like Changi with lots of space to sit around. It is a very busy airport. Throughout the whohle time flying, I am so grateful to the bottle that Bonita gave me for Christmas. It filters all kinds of beverage. I was able to sip filtered water throughout my flight and so I was not so badly dehydrated when I arrived home.

Finally I can get to Newark airport. The plane flew in on time and was already waiting. I sat for about an hour and a half and then boarded. Just before we took off at 1400, I must have slept for a short while because the captain's announcement woke me up. I was informed there would be a 2 hour delay at Chicago because there were strong winds aloft in New York. Already flights to Albany were cancelled and delayed by two hours. So we suffered the same fate. I panicked. Because that would mean I have less than an hour to get to the check in counter at Terminal B in Newark International. My bags might not make it. All these negative thoughts raced through. Then I prayed. I prayed that the Lord will spare me this agony and that I must continue to have faith. It has been a remarkable journey of faith taking the boys and then flying to Calgary and spent this incredible time admiring and enjoying God's providence in nature and with people. So I told myself...to heck with the delay. After I ended my prayer, within minutes, the captain said "What do you know, we are asked to get ready for take off. Go figure that out."

The flight to Chicago was shaking but we made it early by half an hour. Wow. I went to check on my bags. I found them at terminal A at Newark International. I told an officer to help me make sure they go to MAS belt. He did it immediately. I believe he is an angel. Because my bags came almost immediately after I stepped out of the duty free. No problem!

Throughout my flight home from New York. I sat alone. Something I prayed for specifically because my illness need me to rest or else I will be in great pain at my joints. I don't want to go through what happened at Boston when I landed. I was especially careful to keep myself warm throughout the flight because cold air can cause my limbs to be immobile.

So that was how I came home.

I phoned Bonita just now and she told me she heard the news about Chicago and she prayed too at about the same time I prayed. Prayer is not about where. It is about people coming together before the throne of grace to ask God for requests. God desire that we make our request known. I am trying to answer this question, if we are in God's will, then why should we pray. I don't know much about this answer but I see how making my request known draws me closer to God and reminding myself I am not in control but He is. You know how we need to talk out loud sometimes? That is why I think I am learning. I tell God what bucks me. I tell Him about my lack of confidence and I tell Him how I cannot live without His blessings. It makes God happy when we go to Him. He wants us to know and be reminded about His control. We are such controlling people. We are so specific about how we want our things done and what is the best scenario that can happen so we can prepare ourselves. I find this controlled environment too stressful for me.

May be you will not agree with me, it is when we lose control that we gain control of the situation. But you need to know who to lose your control to. Lose it to God and let Him take care of things. He will bring them to past.

Have a great year! I believe the lessons we learn this year will help us more next year. As always, we are so slow to learn but quick to realize the time is too short for us to relearn some of them. I wish all of you a great year and a year where you can give the control to God, our Lord Jesus Christ.