Sunday, December 16, 2007

Go tell it on the mountains

I was so exhausted the first day that I slept from 8pm to next morning 6am. And I did it again on the second night.

After my arrival on the first day, we went shopping for food and candy to bring back home to Singapore. You won't believe what I want to bring back to Singapore besides the raw beef and the candies. I shan't tell you. The first thing I did when I rested after a shower was to go through all the flyers on Bonita's Lazyboy. I wonder why people bother to read the newspapers when they can read the flyers. Bonita agreed with me and said although she paid for the papers, she read only the flyers and listen to the news. She is now telling me what to buy and what sales are on so we can go shopping again.

But jokes aside, we went to the mountains today. It was just a beautiful day. Before that, I met practically all the Schaufeles. I met Ron who called me his oriental sister. Has always addressed me this way and he is like a big brother to me. I met Leila his wife, their kids, all of them except for Beth. I was so happy to see them and they all gave me a big hug each. So grateful to them for welcoming me home this way.

After a short visit, Bonita and I went to church to distribute bread to the families that needed them. There were so many different kinds of bread donated by Sobeys. Bonita has been very busy with helping out with the poor at church. Together with a few of the church ladies, Bonita had sewn 30 quilts to give to unwed mothers. She also baby sits on Thursday at church. Mind you, Bonita is not on full time employments and some months she has no work. But she continues to give and give and give. May God bless her richly in the days to come and may she meet people who will appreciate her too.

The mountains today were just so magnificent. I bought a new camera after I lost mine in New York. As we entered Banff, we saw Mt Yamnuska. This mountain has a vertical cliff face and rises above scree slope. I bet Shin Miin will remember how we had to travel back to back on the weekends during our geomorphology fieldwork. Those were carrot and celery sticks days from 7am to 5pm for four consecutive weekends. But we had fun although very tired.

Here is another look at Mt Yamnuska again. Just look at the steep cliff face. This is sure good teaching material for plate tectonics! Then there was the saw tooth mountain formation caused by the movement of plates.


As we moved on, we came towards Castle mountain. It looked like a wedding cake.I could not stop taking pictures of this mountain. You will understand why it is called a wedding cake when you look at this mountain.






You can see the mountains are white and so were the trees. The colours were magnificent in some places. Let me show you.


There is something about the mountains. They are not only majestic
like our Almighty God. We just stand in awe because of who He is and what He has done for us and will do for us when we trust Him. Looking at what He has created reminded me of the control He has in this entire universal and how everything He has created has a balance and will achieve its balances.


It was cold in the mountains, around -8 degrees centigrade but is still not as cold as freezing point in New York's freezing rain. The cold was comfortable and did not cause me to shiver.


We proceeded on to Lake Louise and took some pictures of the chateau. Then we moved on to Banff. It has changed a lot in Banff.