Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Going to Bethany Chapel

A few things happened the past week that I didn't expected. I was exhausted and I fell ill. It has been a long while since I fell ill and it was so good to be able to sleep. I forgot what fever was like until I had one on Friday. I was feeling cold and hot at the same time but I went to school and taught a class anyway. Then I went to meet Abby for lunch. I could not eat well. The night before I had too many sushi to eat and got sick the next day. So after meeting Abby I went home. I was all cold and decided I should also cancel out dinner with Lily and went to bed thinking I had flu. I took a very heavy dosage of the flu pill and headed for the bed. Dad came home and gave me some antibiotics and then dinner was nothing more than toast. I slept through the night and the fever broke in the morning.

I needed to get well because I was to drive Theodora, my sister and dad to the new house. I was glad I was well enough to last through the day and then come back on time to rush to a tuition session. The day ended with a huff puff for me. Phew! 
The next morning was Sunday. I almost couldn't make it for church. Abby messaged me on New Year's day and asked me to come back to worship God. I told her I would. So I kept my promise and went. I was late because I had to tutor a student early in the morning. Money is hard to come by and I snatch whatever I could find.

When I walked in the same church I visited some ten years ago, I could see a lot of changes. I visited this church near my house 6 times and wrote two welcome cards. The church never ever called me. I told Patrick Lim, a friend I got to know about this during Precept class one day when he told me to visit his church last year. He was not only shocked. He told the church and since then, almost a year ago, they set up a blog to welcome the new visitors and paid active attention to new comers. 

What do you think happened? Hahaha. I was so warmly welcomed. Just as I sat down trying to look for Abby at the same time, a man walked up from behind me and invited me to join his wife at the other corner. It was Henry and Susan Leong. Susan paid special attention to me when we went to Pontian and Malacca because we both speak Cantonese well. And when it was the usual standing welcome, there were more who noticed me. My friends from Precept and from the tirps organised by my precept class were all ready to welcome me. 

Why did I go there? I have been deciding which to go. From what Abby said, the church is rather interesting. It is not a strong church but it is full of people who love the Lord but seem to wait for things to happen and want very much for help to come in. I am not sure if I am to stay there for long. But I am curious why these people are waiting for outside help to come in when they should help themselves. What also puzzled me was that at Holy Communion the wine was really strong. But the bread was an ordinary loaf you can get at the store. The puzzling thing was not that the bread was cheap. The thing was that they pay a lot of attention to getting the best red wine and forgot to do what is right...the loaf must be unleaven at the Lord's table. If they want to follow things to the T then they must also check that this is the case. So what is the problem of just getting some cheap wine and obey God using the unleaven bread?



The church has leaders that are now acting. Slowly but surely, the Lord will continue to work with souls that are willing to come to Him.