Saturday, February 14, 2009

Back at school

When I reached home on Tuesday night, my dad told me CCTV was on fire. I was shocked.

I was in Beijing when the whole thing unfolded itself. I was caught in the midst of the fireworks. Wherever I went, there were people and their fireworks. It was as if I was inside a war zone. Good thing I was with Wenjun and held onto her arms tightly wherever we went. China banned fireworks for the last ten over years. The reason for the ban was to prevent fires. But CCTV was not so lucky. It was a very fantastic building. Each time when I took a cab to go towards the church I attended, I would take a good look. It is kind of sad that the building is now so badly burned and the cost of rebuilding it will be terrible.


I didn't sleep very well on the day when I arrived. I slept at 2am. Then I got up at 5am to be ready for school. I had to get a cab because dad doesn't drive on Mondays and Wednesdays. I was lucky there was a cab at the taxi stand.

The minute I arrived school, I was already in my form class asking them to keep the room clean. I went about checking other rooms. Then the morning assembly. Some colleagues welcomed me back. Others were just too busy. I was too tired to notice anyone.

Some of my students were happy to see me. But most were more eager to get me to teach or reteach some of the stuff.

I spent the entire day clearing up my table.

Next week will be the start of meeting the other students. To be honest, I don't even want to be back.

One of my colleagues told me that she welcomes me back. I told her I really wish she didn't do that. I guess I will take some time getting back to work. But I do know one thing. I miss working with my students. But I don't miss the other work.

I met my principal. He wants to have lunch with me. To be invited for lunch is to have more work. Well, I told him I am on a diet. But he told me he will get his secretary to invite me. I will probably have to go and tell him what I think about the lunch then.

Today is Valentines' day. You won't believe what I did. I actually went out with a total stranger. Before my return, my brother called me to tell me that I should go see a house. So I told them that I will and I will do it on Saturday.

I worked on cleaning up my room throughout the morning and then the phone rang. Richard (my brother) called to say his friend would call me soon. He did, almost two hours later and I am all dressed and rested. He came and picked me up and off we go house hunting. Well, I never knew him and thought what a funny way to spend my Valentine. We chatted about where we were going and how good the house was.

I have been planning to get a house. I wanted to invite friends over, cook a meal and pamper them a little. I especially like the idea of cooking a good meal for my godsons and students. I want a place I can call home.

Well, I am going to buy it. I want to make it into a home for those dear to me.

Oh where is the man in this blog? Haha. His most important role is to sell the house. He is a great salesman. And he sounds like he has a large network. He is a good talker who plays an electric guitar.

We had a snack and then he drove me home.

I wondered if he knew today is valentine's day. I doubt so.