Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Golden Calves

I revisit the END TIME CHURCH sermon by Senior Pastor Daniel Foo because there is an important segment about the Golden Calf. Many end time Christians will backslide as the pull of the world becomes stronger and stronger. And Jesus has warned that we must cling to Him in John 15. He is the vine and we the branches. Whosoever cling unto Jesus and Jesus in him, will have everlasting life. The life of peace and life of living waters where you will thirst no more. It will be a life of total dependency on God and trusting Jesus. He wants us to walk faithfully with Him.


The golden calf was first built when Moses went up to the Mount to pray.  Aaron and Israelites waited for Moses and when Moses was taking too long a time, they decided to make themselves a golden calf. 

The golden calf symbolises desperate measures when the answer is slow in coming. It reflected man's desire to know it now or never. But God prefers us to sit and listen to His still small voice for instructions. The golden calf also symbolizes that we cannot wait anymore and wilfully decided to go our own way and then decided not to wait anymore. 

Often times, the golden calves are our idols in our hearts. Is it your favourite food? Favourite dessert, favourite sitcoms? It is about our covetousness and desire and not about obeying God. 

It can be our time. How much time do we spend working and forgot our God? How many people are we neglecting because we just forgot to honour God with our time with them?

God wants us to posture our hearts and respond in total obedience. When was the last time I actually sat still and know what God wants me to do? I am learning to wait patiently for Him to work. And I want to obey God and surrender. I am also learning to listen to the Holy Spirit's prompting with regard to many matters in my life. The Holy Spirit is ever so gentle and the leading is sure and peaceful. 


"Search Me Oh God. Know my heart today. Try me oh Saviour, know my thoughts I pray. See if there be any wicked ways in me. Cleanse me from every sin and set me free. " Search me because I have hidden many golden calves. Try me because I kept thoughts that are not right. But ultimately Lord cleanse me by the precious blood that flows from Calvary! For YOU are coming and the field is white with harvest and there is work to be done. So Lord, set me free to do your work. Amen.