Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The best thing that happened today

One of the best things about teaching is to be able to meet your students and they are doing better than you. Of course the bonus is that they know the Lord and are walking with Jesus. The entire week I was tired. I am coming down with a flu and this flu lingers since last week and worsen when I was caught in a heavy downpour on Monday. I went home soaking wet and tired.

My brain is also a little foggy. Not because I worked too hard. Because I ate too much. Meat, I realized is not the best food on earth. It tires the brain. I think.

Yesterday when I met Aaron, Desmond, ZhiYi and Don for lunch, Aaron told me that I have to accept that my attempts to be a vegetarian will be futile since I ordered food with meat in them. And they all laughed. Well, I was very happy to meet my project Pipit team because they are all CLEAN SHAVEN. They just booked out from their Basic Military Training and we telling me the kind of guys they met in their camps. Some, I was told were not so smart. They wondered how come these people don't know stuff. Some, I was told were very smart and they were zai. But I have to do the teacher thing to remind them that they have to be thankful for all the chances the school gave them and for those who are not as smart, they have to learn to work with them because these may one day be their employees. Of  course the reverse is true too when the not so smart are their bosses. I gathered that they really enjoyed BMT. I am so happy for them all.

But today, my biggest reward for the day is to be able to speak with Babita, my Nepalese student from Cedar Days. She is a mother of two. Her oldest daughter is 18 years of age. She told me I sounded just like I was eons ago. I told her that when she meet me, she will say I look the same. I hope this is a good thing. Because I certainly looked much older now and darker and not so good looking...sigh!

I taught Babita when she was in Secondary 1 and she is older by a year or so. She was very shy. But she puts in a lot of hard work in class. I always paid attention so she would catch up and do well and she did well all the time. I remember telling her that she should not get married at 17 but go on to learn more. She did her A levels and I think she got married at 19. She is working on her MA in counselling now and she did it so she could understand her oldest girl. What mothers won't do for their children!

I thank God I called her today because she will be leaving at the end of the year for good to Nepal when her husband retires. Wow! I always have her on my mind. Always and so this is a chance to reach out before she goes home. I told her I will go visit but no mountain climbing for me.

I shall meet Babita for lunch after school tomorrow.  I just cannot wait.

I am so glad that I listen to the Holy Spirit as He guides me to what I do each day. I prayed this morning that God will walk into class with me and to help me stay awake. I yawn as I type.

Annie thinks my sugar is up. I think it is the flu. And everybody thinks I should go to the doctor. By Moi Doctor says, rest!