What do I know about acids and alkalis? Not much. But when you ask me how to teach, yes I do.
Last night Joshua gave me a crash course on acids and alkalis after my training sessions. What positive and negative ions, protons, nucleus and atoms...ah...all so difficult to conceptualise! I just have to try and read a textbook. Do I blame my chemistry teacher at school? Yes I do and I always think if she could teach me better, I would have gone into geology which is so fascinating to study.
Joshua knows his stuff. But I showed him that even though he knows it, he must be able to teach it. There are some issues that are not so easy to teach. And I asked a lot of questions until I understood. I clarified my own thoughts. But he quizzed me so I could remember and today I forgot all. Before we each went our separate ways, he told me to please let him know what I don't understand. Will he kill me if I say everything?
I find I behave like my own students. Do you understand? I always ask. Then there was dead silence. Uh Oh...no intiende? (understand in spanish). Then the same haunting reply when I asked what don't they understand. And it is always EVERYTHING! hahaha.
It feels good to let my ex student teach me. Joshua is a knowledgeable teacher but he is not able to translate that knowledge successfully to me like I don't always translate my knowledge to my students. So I have to think how to teach that across. Because I have the difficulty, I anticipate the problems I will face when I walk in next year. So it is good that I am in this position.
My team mates went and told my new boss what I was doing in the class. They are very happy with this new team member because I was busy. Busy washing test tubes, beakers, arranging and mixing solutions. I was having fun. And also noted some changes that need to be made in order for the pedagogy to be more successful. The new boss is looking forward to reading my observations.
I was not just an observer, I was observing from two points of view. That of the students and that of a teaching professional. I pin pointed out certain strategies I will want to try.
First up I need to sort out the major difference between concept maps and mind maps besides one using connecting words and the other just lines (dendrites).
I will not exchange what I am doing for this precious experience with the training team. I may not have found what I want to do. My income is unsteady but my learning curve is shooting up as I ponder and investigate how to better learn new things.
As my world turns, I continue to wait for clarity of the plans GOD has for me. Thank you for praying. And if you are reading to find out how I am doing, I am not dead. Very much alive and learning. Hope to catch up with you physically but for now, it is almost impossible. My november plans are all packed to the brim and December is already half full. Next year, it is packed.
Today I didn't go to work. Got up and watch my korean dramas with Rain as the main lead and then went online to chat with Bonita. It was so good to be able to finally talk online. Then now it is time for lunch. Envy me? Please do. :)