Monday, October 04, 2010

First day at school

Today is the first day at school. I slept rather early because I was a little tired. I woke up refreshed because I was going to meet Jinyao for an interview.

This young man is really impressive. Unlike many of the smart students I have taught, Jinyao was not my student. I got to know him because I was one of the mentors for MUN and he got into trouble with me for not asking for permission to go out of the Boston Sheraton to eat lobster. For that the entire group was severely reprimanded since I have already warned them not to act foolishly. They did but I got him to reflect on his actions and he did a great job. Since then we remain as friends.

Recently he wrote to ask to interview about my involvement with service learning over the past few years. It was a rather soul searching interview for me and we chatted about my intentions to do service learning with my students. 


Service learning started with me because I always believe my students will become government leaders and therefore I want them to have a heart for the poor. I make a deliberate effort to network for my boys so that they can go out and do service. Many who have worked with me must come to work knowing they will not gain any hours or benefit. They must first get to know the community and I will personally arrange for such meetings. Although I cannot be there all the time, many of those I have worked with are trustworthy and carried on their service even though I was not around. I am very thankful they are faithful to the call of duty.


Jinyao has served many different groups. He has a big heart for the lost and abused children and teenagers. He is also a speaker for girls with anorexia and bulimia. When his friends abandoned the project, he carried on and went out to meet some of these victims. They heard about him and wanted him to help them. He has gone to talk to psychologists and two of them from Mt Elizabeth Hospital gave him a lot of readings to equip and counsel him to help them.

I did warn him of getting burnout and told him never to be too kind such that he is also abused. He is a very kind hearted young person. But he doesn't know the Lord. As I drove him to a bus stop near his house, I cannot help but feel sad that he doesn't know Jesus. I tried to share about the second coming of Christ with him and I hope he continues to be kind but do it for the Lord.


The help we can give is only temporary. But God's help once given lasts a life time.

After meeting Jinyao, I had time to wash Altis and made sure he is all vacuumed and ready for the afternoon. I am pleased to say Altis is smart looking. When I got down an hour later I was surprised how smart Altis looked.

I parked my car just outside the office. There was a meeting going on in the staff room so I stood outside. I waited until the meeting was over and I found the seat. It was small and right along the main corridor next to the teacher's lounge. It was noisy but good to hear noise because it means everyone is busy and hungry.

I was instructed to teach natural vegetation but I didn't have the wireless working until the technician came. I thought I could get it working again but no such luck. 


It looks like I don't report to work until 1230 everyday. I leave school at 530pm. Looks good because I am paid 120 dollars now. Soon to come I will be paid 200 dollars. I am not after money. I am after the experience and to get to know the school system again. I want to be able to adjust to any condition so that I can be ready wherever God is going to send me.


Like all the neighbourhood schools, many things are not as efficient. But that is okay. I have been too used to efficiency that I have become less tolerant to the lack of efficiency because of the lack of money to be efficient. Here the teachers work within their means. There are still a few idiotic characters who tried to exert their greatness. I just laugh them off because I have tasted greatness and great people don't tell others they are great. The greatness of genuinely great people are felt and they will humble you. These that I have seen today makes you laugh. 

I walked into a computer lab where the humanities room is. And there were a few students with their teacher I am to help. I was left with 4 while she took the rest. These 4 were supposedly the top students but they were not at all interested because they were really tired. By the time they reached me, it was already 440pm. I taught till 520pm and dismissed them. Most of them want to stay on but I want to go. One of the girls had a math paper infront of her and I told her to keep because I am not nice when I am pissed. And to the piss word, the other girl just stick out her tongue and smile. Perhaps I should not say that in a convent but I was sending a strong signal not to be funny with me. She got my message and was more than 200% attentive.



There were girls who had never heard about the information. I could see their eyes rolling and their faces light up because of what I shared. 

I am beginning to put ideas together now. I hope this spree continues. Not going to work has become so good that I don't miss going to teach at all. But for now it is a good start for me. Getting back into the classroom with no air condition is good. 


The staff I must say is very friendly and curious who this new person was. I met a small lady Maggie who helps with printing. She looks like she is in her 60s and she was extremely nice. She was very eager to show me the pantry but this was the last thing on my mind because the most important thing for me are the tools for my teaching.



Perhaps the school will find me rather bothersome because I asked a lot of questions. I guess this is because having worked in an independent school for so long has trained me to be 100% dedicated to my pedagogy and the classroom. It was a good feel today being able to walk into class and leaving the class with students wondering how much more they don't know.