Sunday, December 14, 2008

John Ong from Malaysia

Almost 11 days to Christmas. Today's speaker in BICF is a pastor from Malaysia. By the way, I attend only the Mandarin speaking service. He was an excellent speaker and the message is taken from John 4: 31 to 38.

Jesus was with his disciples in Samaria. And coming in front of him was a group of samarians dressed in white. Jesus looked at them and told His disciples that the field was white with harvest. He was not referring to the harvest of wheat but a harvest of people. When Jesus was asked to eat something, He told the disciples that His food was to do the will of God.

Today 11 more days to another gentle reminder of God's purpose of sending His son to us. We are to reap. Jesus died on the cross, conquered death so that we can live in Him. This message of God's love to us has to spread.


Pastor John Ong said that success is like peeling an onion. Each time you peel, you will get nothing but tears until the heart of the onion and you will realize there is nothing. What then is success is only success with the Lord in the centre of what we do.

I have been harping on a few of my successes this year. Yes, I won some competitions. It is so good to have my students reminding me that we don't participate because we want to win. I feel good when my students realize that they are out to help people and if we win and managed to get the message out there to the masses, that will be a boost. I say this because the last competition I won, we got no money except a medal and another level of competition. So I asked them whatever for we continue. Aaron said it was to help people. So next year we will be going to Michigan and we will probably get nothing again. And so it seems. But in many ways we will win. My students from the Project Pipit has learned to work with each other and juggle their schedules to make time to help the poor. Such skills can never be bought by money.

When we serve God, this is what He wants from us. To go out there and clothe the naked, feed the hungry and heal the broken hearted. The harvest is plentious but labourers are few. So send I you, to labour unrewarded.
With the financial crisis, the cost to serve the Lord has increased even more or has it?

Whatever it is, the message on Sunday is clear. God is asking us to go!