Christmas in Beijing is not as quiet as we think it is. 西单is decorated with neon lights. Sales during this festive season was everywhere. I already had some christmas gifts from some of my friends I have made here. I didn't expect to have them actually.
I got a vacuum nanometer mug that makes my drinks more alkaline. This is supposed to make my blood less acidic and so less toxic in the process. 鹏老师 one of the wardens gave me that for Christmas. 霍老师 gave me some dragon fruits and a big pomelo for my cough. My masseur 马淼got me a tea drinking set. I was speechless by their generosity because whatever they got me come from a big portion of their income.
Many of the Chinese in China do not know what Christmas is all about. In some of the provinces in China, celebrating Christmas is only the last 5 years. Only the young between the ages of 5 to 25 celebrate this season. All they do is to buy a gift. To many of the Chinese, the New Year is more significant. And so during this time of the year, they buy for the New Year and the Chinese New Year.
I realize that in less than 3 weeks I will be home. I am supposed to report to work almost immediately but I have asked for leave. I very much want to rest up before the onslaught of the mundane. I am not looking forward to the stress waiting for me.
I think the best gift I got this Christmas is the friendship I have made in Beijing. I have been invited to visit my masseur and her family in 兰州 this Chinese New Year. I am planning to go. Now waiting for permission to leave early and come back later.
I want to share about my masseur's sister. 马淼has asked that I helped her sister 文君 with English translation. I gladly take on the task because it is like a breath of fresh air from the mundane fieldtrips and lessons in the campus here. We started lesson around the end of November and she has become really confident in translating english essays to mandarin. She has to take an exam on the 9th of January. Please pray for her as she translates the English passage to Mandarin.
About a week ago, when we were getting ready to study, 文君 happened to ask me alot of questions about myself. She asked when I remained single and why not have a child so as I won't be lonely. I told her that I remained single because I could not look after anyone else but myself and to have a child just so the child could look after me is a very selfish act. She went on to talk about where I got the strength to live on. I shared with her about my mother and about God being my refuge.
I felt I needed to talk to her about Jesus who can be her saviour but I felt she would find me pushy. I did not want her to get the wrong idea of forcing God on her so I tried hard to steer clear of the topic on Christ. But she wouldn't let me go without telling her about what is a refuge and who is this God. So I was given this big door, wide open and ready to hear about the salvation of Jesus. I told her that Jesus loves us so much that He just was willing to die on the cross, rose again and coming soon. I told her that there is no God that will come back alive in true flesh for His believers except Jesus. It is that simple. I also shared that I am not perfect and no one should worship anyone because human beings fail and fail miserably.
She asked me if I would take revenge on those who wronged me just as she was wronged at work. She told me she would take her revenge. But I told her that Jesus would take that revenge for all of us. Those who wrong us will be taught by Jesus and He would teach them the right way but it is not up to us to help God right the wrong. I shared that my job is to wait for God to do it. It may not be the same hurt and it may not even be hurt but He will right the wrong. She was stunned by our loving God and told me she wanted to believe in this same God I believe in.
By now you would hasten me to bring her to the Lord, said the sinner's prayer and then host of angels singing hallelujahs. Well, I didn't. I left it to her and went for dinner with her later that night. Two days later when I had to go and get my legs fixed again, 马淼told me that they met some Christians called Jehovah Witnesses. I told her that these were cults that spoke to them. See how fast the devil comes in to steal the sheep. Thank God 马淼was discerning as she found them whispering under their breath and whipping out a strange book. I told her not to believe me but to search for more information about them. And they did.
I see how God is working even in me to bring these lovely people to Him. But I stopped short of saying the sinner's prayer becasue I am not sure how I should do it and how to deal with what is happening around me. I am totally stunned that I am in the midst of the harvest that is white. I let God use me as a labourer in this matter but I am not ready. Must I be ready? I watch as God work in the hearts of the two sisters I love dearly. My masseur is blind and her sister helps her walk to the work place, tells her what she is going to eat and even describes vividly the places my masseur visit. Both of them are interdependent and these sisters are very nice to watch. Their love for each other is deep. They both told me that it is good to have a religion as it stablizes the mind and the heart. But I told them that Christianity is not a religion. It is a personal walk with a true and living God.
马文君asked me that night how I knew Jesus is alive and real. I told her that I know because I can hear Him and I feel Him in my heart prompting me to do His will. She cannot comprehend.
I affected 马文君very much that night. I literally rocked her world. She went to tell 马淼about what we shared and her hands shook as she related the sharing that evening. She told her sister that she must find out more about this God that I know. Praise be to God.
Continue to pray for the two sisters as they open more and more to the truth about Jesus. They are truly blessed only when they know Jesus as their personal saviour. May God bless them with the gift of salvation.
Good night!