Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hong Kong Trip



Hong Kong trip is great. I took the photo of a night scene in Hong Kong. Wished I had gone up the Peak in the night but didn't manage to.

I rested and laughed. Something I was not able to do at home here.

I had a great time meeting friends and relatives. I am most thrilled because I finally got to meet my Hong Kong friends and be reconnected with them. Thanks to my ex student Si Si who went searching for Amanda and finally got her number. Before I flew back to Singapore, I met Amanda and spoke to Glady's on the phone. We promised to stay in touch. This is one part of my Calgarian life that has been missing until now.

The trip was also great because I got to move around. It helps to be a geographer. We got around without taxis. Buses and trains were our much preferred mode of transport. Managed to find a bus we could take to our hotel from the airport. And we made it all with the help of the internet. Information, information and more information.


The first hotel I checked into was good. It stood next to a Chinese cemetery. But was located next to the Aberdeen harbour. From the corridor of the hotel the view was breathtaking. The Caritas Oswald Cheung International House was tucked in Tin Wan. The bus passed by the Queen Mary hospital, Hong Kong University and Lee Ka Shing Medical school. The hotel is a year old and is amongst an old housing estate in Tin Wan. We had to walk quite a short distance to go up a bridge to get buses to Central. The first thing we did when we arrived was to go up the PEAK. But plans were quickly changed when we took too long to locate my dad's best friend. I wanted to hand him the goodies and then shipped out quickly to the PEAK and catch the night view. But we just couldn't find each other until I realized...he was in the station, and I was outside the station. When I finally met him in the station, we realized the station was mega huge. You can get lost in Central Station. So quickly, we decided to get in and go Mongkok and headed for Fa Yuen Street to shop instead. I did not buy anything there. Just didn't know how to haggle over prices anymore. I watched on as Joshua haggled his way...he had many brilliant methods. I shall not elaborate. Of course he teased me for being a softie. But I really see no point in getting my bp up for no good reason.

The second day, we went to Macau. Wow...so many casinos! Cannot understand why people want to gamble. We checked into the Royal Macau. The receptionist told me that I didn't book. I was not only horrified and shocked but extremely disturbed because I got the letter saying I had a room booked. Then it was cleared up and I got into a premier room. Very nice room indeed. I could not wait to start roaming the casinos. Well, did we gamble? Not really. We went from New Lisboa to Wynn. Only two casinos. And we seriously went there to observe the gambling. It was pretty interesting to watch how the gamblers let others decide their fate for them. Most of them have no emotions. A lot of blank faces staring at the slot machines. Joshua and I decided that we should just play $2 and that was all. We kept to our word. We did only the slot machines and couldn't understand how to play the others anyway. Did we win? Yah...only $3 and we only fed $2. We were analysing how come we could pull ourselves out of it while others struggle...The conclusion, we both don't really think money can buy a lot of things and we have other values too. So it was easy to pull out. Then we went to the food court to eat. My goodness. I have never felt so tired waiting for my food. You have to go to the stall, take a look at what you want and go tell the cashier and then the stall will call your number when the food is ready. Well, they take forever to decide at the cashier what they want to eat. By the time my food was ready, I would like to sleep already.

The last hotel we stayed in was Royal View Hong Kong. The view is also very breathtaking. Royal View hotel sits right at the bottom of the Tsing Yi bridge. We could not hear any noise and it overlooks Tsuen Wan (a bay with two beaches). The waters are too cold to swim in. We went visiting one relative after another and ate meals we will never forget. But the most important thing of all is to gather and chat about life in general.

I wanted this trip to be different. I always enjoyed visiting people when I travel because this would open up another world for me. It will be like coming home again and again. That is why I love to say HELLO and not GOOD BYE.

Hong Kong. I always love Hong Kong because of the colours and the amazing strength to make the best of everyday. No matter how busy, how stressed, they always stay above the waters. They are honest too. Honest enough to tell you that they are after your money and so sincerely does it too. So really, they do come across rude when I was younger but this time, I find them normal, and upfront. Just the way they are.

My cousins were saddened by the news of my mother. But they advised me that life is short and to treasure whoever we have now. We had a good time visiting with each other and promised to do it again when I next visit them.

I was also thrilled to be able to speak with my friends Amanda, Glady's and Florence. Florence is my Singaporean friend who has been working in Hong Kong for the last three years. It was sure good to hear her speak.

I went to Chek Lap Kok International Airport to meet Amanda. She looked great. And spoke to Glady's on the phone. I shared about my leaving for Beijing and Amanda told me I should go and China needs me. Amanda is a great lady. She is happily married and working as the Branch manager of a Hong Kong local bank. She majored in Psychology and don't ask me how but she likes banking too. Amanda once brought bibles into China on a bicycle and not knowing where she should go or who she should give to. She was asked by her catholic church to help out. The person who needed the bibles eventually came and took them. She told me that God led her to the person miraculously. I offered my help and should they need me to go over, I gladly do it. All for the Lord's work.

I was at the supermarket above the Tsuen Wan station. I saw some ready made packages for soups using fresh vegetables. I cooked one kind of soup today. I think I did okay. I modified it because I cannot remember how many ingredients...

Coming back to school this morning was more than painful. My flight landed at 1130pm and didn't get home till 1230. Many people queued for taxis. I slept at 2am and was up and ready to go at 530. How did I do? Not too bad. But didn't like my work today. How about you?