Friday, October 19, 2007

Hong Kong 2


This is not a trick. This is not a dead body. She is alive. She is all wrapped up by cloth and with plastic sheets. Many people walked by. Nobody stopped. She lies right at the junction leading to Lan Kwai Fong. I didn't see her at first because I was crossing the other street to get into a carnival at Lan Kwai Fong. This is a big area full of pubs. Many were drinking from tall glasses of beer. There were many young girls and young boys there. Wondered about the legal age to drink too. I didn't get too deep in because it was not only noisy but I was getting tired too. I tunnelled my way out and chance upon this sight. I walked around to see what it was. Only to find an elderly woman all wrapped up in cloth and plastic bag with a eye mask. She even got her ears covered.

A few thoughts raced through my mind. Nobody really cared because she has been featured before. She has got to be featured because Hong Kong is a city buzzing with gossips of all kinds. The paparazzis are not going to let it go so easily. Then I thought about why no one did anything. Perhaps help was given but refused. But it shook me a little to see that not many actually stopped to check on her.

As she sleeps, as the young people drink away the saturday night, as I walked to the bus stop to catch a bus home, I was just stunned by this elderly woman. Does she have any friends? Why is she doing this? Sigh! Don't people want to feel connected?

Uniforms! Nice uniforms. These young people we caught on camera was in one of the stations. They are smartly dressed and all ready for school. Uniforms need not be boring. My school has a problem with getting our students to wear their uniforms proudly. The sloppyness was indeed abhorable. Sometimes I wonder why they bother to wear it at all if they are not proud of what it represents. Uniforms speak a thousand words. They tell about what group you belong to. This way we can track you down to praise you for the good you did. Why must we always think nobody notices what we wear? Do our students know that the uniform is a statement. If the uniform is worn proudly, it speaks well of your family. Your mother, or your maid bothered to iron it so that you look your best. I think these days, we don't like to put our BEST look forward or take the BEST foot forward. We just put whatever we have forward. Perhaps this is about being REAL. But are we ready to face the consequences of being REAL?

As I watched the Hong Kong news tonight, I am glad to be home today. There was a forest fire in New Territories because of a festival where they go pray to their ancestors. So God has plans and as long as we are in His plans, we are taken care of.

The trip was planned way before mum was sick. I needed this break because I have been extremely stressed up. My chinese physician told me that I need a break. From the planning to the actualization of this trip, God is in it. I am thankful for the trip and the rest I needed. This is only the beginning of my rest. I hope for more.

Will be going to Hong Kong again in November. This time to go guangzhou for a day or so to eat....