Friday, December 22, 2006

23rd December 2006
Two more days to Christmas. I got up early to clean the whole house, went to the market, bought the vegetables, washed them and cooked a pot of chicken soup all within 3 hours. I was hoping that when mum got back, she would have some soup and also my sister could cook the vegetables while I was out. I rushed off to join a group of trainee teachers who have been working with Bukit Panjang Family Service Centre for the last 5 days.

This team of students planned a programme involving teaching children in the child care centre about how to be an entrepreneur. I believe the team has learned to work with unexpected situations that propped up every now and then. We fed forty five children with the ultimate meal and then 5 were picked to ask people to donate to the kettle of the salvation army. The children are donating the crafts they were taught to work on for the last two days. I was impressed by the team's enthusiasm and willingness to go the extra mile for the children.

I spoke to the manager of the Family service centre and she shared with me about some programmes at her centre. She has an outreach to the elderly and the pastor from salvation army will come down and do devotions. The elderly really missed the touch of humans and the care from another person. Some had children who would not feed them or look after them, some had children who abandon them and some who have no children. These are very lonely people.

Today is the winter festival. Every year at this time, my family will gather to eat and also to enjoy the glutinous ball soup. We tried those that were savoury but overall, the sweet ones are our favourite. This winter festival signifies the coming of winter and also allows the number of daylight hours to balance out. It is also about family reunion. In China, this is a major festival that signifies the start of winter and also means the family members are coming home for the winter.

Richard fixed the curtains as the children ate. Mum was delighted. She looked rested but there was pain in the stomach area. She told me it was gastric. But she was happy to be home. I kept very quiet about the pain because I don't exactly know what it was. When she was in the hospital, the pain must be numbed by the amount of pain killers the doctors pumped into her.

Something bugged me today and I actually thought a lot about it. I wish Bonita was right here to sit with me and talk to me about what I was thinking and feeling down about. Recently she wrote to remind me toI thought about being independent today. Bonita is a very positive and independent lady. She loves the Lord and gives according to how the Lord will lead her.

Bonita is more than a friend. She is my big sister. Before she became my friend and sister, she was my landlady and I stayed with her for 6 great years. I cannot lie and say that everything was hunky dory when we were staying together. Knowing I have a wandering heart, I was amazed I stayed put. I must thank her for standing by me no matter what. She taught me to fight for things that belong to me and that I have more to give. She showed me how to care without expecting anything in return. I tried and tried and I come to one conclusion, it is really tough to do that.

There were times when she would prepare a whole meal to wait for international students to come and eat and then last minute, they all called to turn it down because they had something better to do. She told me the table was full with food she specially went and learned to prepare. Only one student came. Margaret came. And Margaret told off those ungrateful people. I just admire Bonita for not allowing this to stop her from giving. She is always ready to get in there and start all over again. Well, I simply am too tired to do so.

Bonita's heart is very big. Wonder how she does it everyday. I have not spoken to her for a long time now because I know if I call her, I don't think she could hear me speak. I will be choked up with my sorrow.

Bonita lost her sister Debbie to cancer. Debbie has a rare form of cancer of the air sac. I remembered distinctly when we prayed for Debbie's cough and the doctors just didn't know exactly what was wrong. When the doctors had to send the tissue down to the States, I knew she would not live and she would go home to the Lord on Bonita's birthday. I have the sixth sense of such things. Don't ask me why. I could not explain. Just knew it. I remember having to push forward Bonita's birthday by two days. We had the party with her parents. Then I left the house to pray and pleaded with God to postpone the date. I told God He was cruel to do it on Bonita's birthday. But God is God, He does what He does. I was really angry at God and wonder if He could not find another time. He brought Debbie home on Bonita's birthday. And I remember riding in the car with Bonita at the driver's seat. I knew my life was in danger because her eyes were just covered with tears. Later she told me she didn't know how she got there. Phew! Since then Bonita's birthday has a different meaning.

Tonight I shared about a very important person in my life other than my parents. She is probably in Bow Island now for Christmas. Bonita is the person behind my Christmas traditions in my family.

Mum told me she invited ten of her friends. I have to go and get more gifts now. I am tired. Very tired. I go sleep now.

Merry Christmas!




No comments: