Khai Shin was back for three weeks and only had one day to meet me. He is a food connoisseur and so upon reading a blog Lady Iron Chef, he booked a very special tea place that afternoon. I almost forgot to meet him if not for his timely reminder. It was a posh hotel and we expected the buffet served round the hour on the hour. To our horror we had to choose from a three tier set with finger sandwiches and the only thing free flow was the beverages. Khai Shin ordered Jasmine and I tried three different beverages. The last was the earl grey. The ambience was just nice for us to catch up and he shared a lot on how he would cook 7 course meals for friends. Some of the food he cooked was elaborate. Have you ever tasted elderflower crystal candy in your lime juice. These elderflower crystal candy will burst in your mouth! Well, with his chemical engineering, he actually prepared food based on this knowledge. He told me that meat when it is frozen is not as good. The tiny fibres of the muscles will burst when they freeze and the taste is altered. This is what happens when you use the knowledge of chemistry to cook. Wow! He promised me before he left that he will cook me a meal when he is back the next time. I will cook him my lowly sphagetti ala my style. I think my sphagetti is the best though. Right Bonita? I think I perfected the meat sauce.
Khai Shin talked about how some of his friends really bothered him when they messed up his kitchen. He realized that it is better to stay alone. He is always so bright and cheery and I love visiting with him.
This afternoon, Pompidou asked me out for teachers' day celebration and wondered why it has been changed to a Friday. Well, I think it is not a bad idea, teachers have an extra holiday this year and the holiday seemed longer for many of us. He wanted to buy me dim sum but the queue was too long so we settled for a simple noodle meal. He paid. He told me he is not earning much but he could still buy me a meal. We enjoyed the session together. Whenever I meet Pompi, we will talk about another special person in Cambodia. He came last week and Pompi met up with him. I missed the chance to visit with my cambodian student. I will want to meet him some day. I told Pompi about the reconciliation which is close to Pompi's heart. Pompi and I were the first to work together in an overseas CIP with Troeung Hao. Pompi and Troeung Hao taught math while I taught English and trained some teachers from China there. It was a very meaningful project. That was why Pompi and I had something special. He is always concerned with my relationship with Troeung Hao because he feels so strongly that we need to reconcile, I granted him this wish. But he wants more. He wants me to meet Troeung Hao and carry on with this friendship. I will some day. I will.
Pompi is very mature and is always courteous. He actually served me first before serving himself like a true gentleman. He told me not to believe too much about him because he is not really nice as a lawyer but I believe what I see not just what I heard. I know Pompi to be of very steady character and rather principled. I saw how he worked with Troeung Hao. And I know he values and treasures his close friends.
This afternoon, he shared about his views on doctors. He said sadly that the doctors he knows are not compassionate except for one. I agree with him. Most only treat the patient so they don't hurt, and they preferably don't die on them. Most just do it out of duty. But how many will take the time to really talk to their patients. He was sad about this. I am happy that he feels so. Because that would mean he will not be a lawyer without compassion. I hope he hangs on to this willingness to help the lower rungs of society. He realized that he came from a school that worked with the best. But he learned to work and play with the lowest these days. Good for him. He has learned to respect the lowest of the rung and I hope he will help these people some day soon.
Today I also had the opportunity to share with Pompi about God and about how God helped me through the trials for the past months. He is open to the sharing and I hope to meet him soon to share more.
I told Pompi about the work I am doing and he was glad that I could make a difference. We discussed how the school's system has not wrought very useful students at tea. He didn't think the system taught well. I told him it depends on what cluster the students are put through. There are some faculties that are more rigorous than others. Some just pale in colour. In the end it is really up to the students to decide what is best for them. If they work on their own and work hard and pursue the things they want to work on, they can excel.
It has been refreshing meeting these two young men amidst my tight schedule. They took the time out for me and I truly appreciate their kindness to remember me. It is so good to know I existed.
This weekend will be packed with meeting yet another student. I have not met him in the last 6 years and it will be great to meet again. We are going to drive to another student's place for dinner because this other one has a restaurant. I hope Alex remember our date!
Have a great weekend and I can't wait to hear what Kay Arthur has to say about the 6th tactics Satan use to draw us away from God.
Dear God
Thank you so much for the students that came into my life. Thank you for watching over each and everyone of them. Whether they know or yet to know you, I pray they will see Your mighty hand at work in their lives. I don't matter but You matter. Keep my students free from danger wherever they be. Stir their hearts to know you before it is too late. I trust them in your hands. Bless those who bless your name. Teach those who don't know you to know more about you. Most of all that your love will be made known to them. For the hearts that are ready to receive, open that door wide and may they live a life to glorify your name. For those who already know you that they will anchor their lives in YOU because only YOU will satisfy. For those who still want to walk in sin, Lord, have mercy. Bring people to rock their world. Turn them inside out for your glory and help them Lord to honour you with their lives. I know you have a timing. And I know I have to trust YOU to do the work. So Lord work in the hearts of these students. They are not mine. They are YOURS.
So Father, open their eyes and their hearts and turn them towards YOU. Because when they turn their eyes to look at YOU, everything else will not matter so much. May their eyes turn from the lure of the world, their hearts Lord be turned towards the poor and their minds to focus on finding an answer to a senseless world.
That they may know this GOD.