Saturday, May 07, 2011

Voting Day!

It was a bright and hot day today. We are all crowding in the living room. Yes, my brother's family and my sister's family are all here. I cooked up a storm and gathered them this morning because we want to witness the change of times. I want my nephews and nieces to watch history in the making.

This election is very special. I have not heard so many unhappy voices until this election. This is also an election where the many young people are voting for the first time. They are voting so the government can evoke some effective changes to high housing cost, high inflation and lack of jobs. I was told that it is getting really difficult for fresh graduates to get a job and some have to wait for more than a year. Even then the starting pay is very low. I started at a very low pay too. But I didn't have a car, a house and I was contented to walk, take a bus and eat at home. Nowadays, the young people are eating out more often, pubs a lot and own some of the 3Cs. May be they have to look at buying cheaper housing. 


I am more concerned about how the various candidates refute each other's stand. Some candidates were too confident that their remarks would not stir up anger. There were a few threats thrown out, that we may not be able to live in flats if we don't have the ruling party. Like my nephew said, may be without them, we live in bungalows. Of course what does my nephew know about life. He is but 15 years old. 


My other nephew said grace at the table tonight and he prayed that the new government will not add more to the GST. At that we all burst out laughing. Even the young ones, those who are going to school, are feeling the pressure of high inflation. 


I am not too please with the comments made about foreign workers. Why are we making our foreign friends who took up jobs that we don't want to do to look like they steal our jobs? This is not right. We can do those work if we want to work and if we want to satiate our appetite for high end consumerism, then we look for more work and at different places. We should not blame people. The fact is that these foreign workers are also lowly paid and they too have a lot of woes.



This election is changed by the internet. We can send information quickly and massively. We have forced the government to touch base with the masses. They are forced to facebook to connect. And may God bless Singapore with another 5 years of leaders who lead with compassion and vision for our country. May all the nasty remarks and threats be slowly forgotten and no one gets sued for fair play.