Monday, May 02, 2011

The big 7

The hottest topic right now is the coming elections. Canada had theirs today and I will know later what Bonita thinks about their election. Ours is coming Saturday. Are we ready?

How do I see this big 7? Well, I think I am anxious to know too. This is the test of the skills in social studies and also to see if the objectives of social studies are met. Many of those who vote for the first time have gone through the social studies era. They are trained to check their sources, look at the provenance and then compare and contrast to check for reliability as well as to evaluate and weigh the consequences. Will this group be able to be objective and vote according to what they have seen, heard or even spoken to?


I want to think that the students I taught are able to practice the skills taught to them. And I hope that besides patriotism, they will also seriously think if the people, the lowest of the rung in our society are really cared for. 


In one of the discussion with an ex student, I shared my views and support for a particular party. Many years ago, when I also voted, I heard the same threat. Today I still hear the same threat. I wonder if we are simply too small for opposition. I am not talking about being a world class parliament. There is no need to be world class. I just hope that we, the lowest of the rung will be heard and someone to speak for our interest for a change.


The carrot was thrown out a day or two ago for the entire nation. New strategies to beat inflation, more carrots. But not all of us are rabbits. And some of us find carrots rather distasteful. I happen to know I am a thinking individual who has the right to decide what is good. All these years as a citizen of this country, I know who did what and who didn't do what. I also know which member joins NATO (No Action Talk Only). My own MP has to step down because of his very misguided principles. I never liked this fella and so I am glad he is out. And the new member joining the team is a good fella. But I am afraid history will repeat itself. 


My area has a team that has a promising young lady of 24 years old. But I don't wish to vote her because she is better than the opposition. The other female candidate has a powerful husband. And she looks very eligible to be in top programs. But can she speak for the poor? 


Many have guessed that this year, there will be many spoiled votes. I hope not. I want to vote. I have not been able to because nobody dares to contest in my GRC. This year, we have a team contesting in my GRC. I thank this team. But they have got to do a lot more and be more visible to win my vote. 


But then again, if they are not in parliament, they cannot do much for the people earlier too. So I wonder if it is possible for these parties to function after the election. Can these parties don't be the kind that will fly by night? Can they remain in the constituency and serve those who want to be heard? You see, after every election, I wonder where these people go? 


They worked hard to spend 15000 dollars or more to stand for election. How come they are gone when the election ended and they lost? I don't understand. Do you?


So my dear ex students, when you vote, practice what you learn for source based questions...ahhaha. What is the provenance? How far do you agree? To what extent is this true? Which is reliable? Source A says this and does that mean that source B is not ture? Explain your answer!

Familiar? I hope you have fun reading as much as I have fun writing. I should publish my blog yah? Done!