I took about 4 days off to visit some relatives and friends in Hong Kong with my dad. I thought since he can still travel, I should take him with me. I wanted to give us a break from the business of living. We work too hard and too stressed up.
Every time when I travel with my dad, we always fight along the way and so this time I have a new mission. I asked my family to pray that we will not get on each other's nerves and I believe they prayed very hard.
I also made sure I left dad with his friends and my relatives so he can really smoke his lungs out with them. I took a day off and visited with my friends I got to know in Calgary. I attended a church service preached in Cantonese. I was really tired and nodded off to sleep at some point in the message. The preacher is blind and he became blind over the years with failing sight. He was rather funny. But overall I thought the message was interesting.
Remember how I shared about the organic church? I decided I should not go to church at all. But the message was on going back to church. And later on Monday, I opened up an email and an ex-trainee whom I supervised back in NIE days, got baptized. Wan Ting is the last person I would think would become a believer in Jesus because she was into so many superstitions and stuff. But I am so glad she abandoned all these to follow Jesus. I brought her to IBC one Sunday and never went back after that because I was very caught up with my own search for a church. But she stayed and she is growing in the Lord. It is amazing how GOD works! Not by might, not by power but by the Spirit of God. I can see a change in her the last time we met in March. She is a great photographer and an excellent teacher at a top school too.
I found it totally amusing about going to church now. I will continue to search for an answer. Until and unless the church is teaching God's children about Him, there is no use going to fellowship with one another because when we meet, we don't talk about GOD. We talk about our business, our earthly pursuits. Yes we do sing. But to whom? We have really got to look at how we come before GOD.
I also took this opportunity to think about what God wants me to do after I quit. There is a strong inclination to start my own little business with education care. I am not sure. I have been asking why God sent me to this school I am working now. I cannot understand why He puts me there and then gives me a strong desire to leave at the same time. I really have no regrets quitting this place because I really cannot wait to get out. The feeling is similar to when I was in my last year in a girl's school.
I also went to meet a Chinese parent when I was in Hong Kong. The mother shared with me about her family and to my greatest amazement, I found out that my student's grandparents are both Christians. And this mother is not going to stop me from bringing her daughter to church. I am going to do just that. I am sure her grandparents prayed hard for her. May be that is why I am there now. I don't know but I pray God will lead me on.
And I didn't fight with my dad throughout the trip. He has also got to learn that I can look after myself. My cousins were all surprised that I could find my way to where they live even after not having been there for 3 years. I thank God for spatial intelligence. I have it. My friends were surprised too that I know their city so well.
This time, I also visited the mega brands malls. There were a few. All I saw were many rich mainland Chinese shopping for famous brands like Zegna, Prada, CK and others. And some even decked themselves with branded goods. However their poor fashion sense makes all these expensive brands look silly.
I learn more and more that going back to the basics and the simplicity of things actually brings out more beauty in the person. It is not what you wear that makes you great but what you have inside you that makes you great.
I am very happy with my fake Abercrombie Ts and my not so branded pants. I still look expensive and real. Hahaha.
I am very happy with my fake Abercrombie Ts and my not so branded pants. I still look expensive and real. Hahaha.
The minute I landed in Singapore, I could feel the rush of stress back on. I slept a little this morning and then went to work. It was challenging to try and stay awake for my first lesson.
Enjoy your week. Will blog again.