Monday, November 23, 2009

Leaving in about 5 hours for Beijing

I was completing my work review form just a few minutes ago. I started working on it on Wednesday but simply couldn't finish. One medical exam after another has exhausted me. I was in JB for an examination and the doctor happened to be the parent of my ex pupil from RGS. Small world indeed. And I remember her and how she spoke too. Then I visited with another student's parents who took me out for lunch. I really overburdened them the whole day. Shall not do it again. Poor things got to listen to me rattle on and on about my life.

I came home tired and went online to check my mail when another student alerted me. He wanted to thank me for teaching him. He told me that I was the highlight of his entire high school career. I am the only teacher that he waited to hear each time. He said I was temperamental and there was a certain aura about me. I laughed because I thought aura is not really appropriate. He clarified that he won't be able to tell if I was going to burst into some scoldings or some chiding or some encouragement. I often left them sitting on edge each time I walked into their class. I take this as a compliment. I am not predictable. Why should any teacher be? Predictability spells the death of all teachings.

As I finished up the work review I reflected about my work with the school. Dare I say this, I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course with the school. And by the grace of God I survived all these 8 years. I leave now by His will and go to wherever He has led me to because of Who my God is. I don't really know what I can do there but I am certain of this... He will work again and again with what He has for me. He has assigned according to everyone our GREAT work. So dont' take anything you do too lightly. Even if it is just cleaning the dishes, it is still God's great work for us. 


It is not what you do that make you great. Not how you start that makes you great. It is how you finish. 


I care very much how each of my students finish the race each year. Did they do well? If they don't how do they finish off their bad year? Some will get up and fight on, some will mop and wade in self blame. Some drenched totally with guilt and regret. 

I don't like to regret what I do. I think it is a very sad thing to regret. We have to make an informed decision and after making that decision we have to bear the consequences. 

So I have moved out of my office. Most of the stuff is out. What is left is something I can carry with one arm. Why ? My left arm has been badly injured and the pain that is constantly there is becoming louder each night as I lay in bed.


My work review ended with a grateful heart for all the school has done for me. Especially my reporting officer and my senior teacher in my geog department. And to some of my colleagues I got to know over the years, a new milestone for me and them too.



Good rest everyone. Christmas is coming so soon. I am going to prepare a Canadian Turkey dinner this year.