What came to me was the best surprise of the day. My Macintosh came. Aluminum Mac. Yup! Many may not know but I was a Mac user all throughout my university days in Calgary. Bonita was the one who had the classic Mac. I used it to type many of my papers until I got my own Mac. I knew no other computers until my return to Singapore. It was culture shock to see so many PC. But it was not difficult to learn how to use the PC. Piece of cake from the Mac. Anyway I adapted and my Mac did not last because I blew the monitor when I forgot to switch power voltage. So remember to switch when you are in a different country. I sold my Mac to a garang guni man and never touched one until recently. The hype about Mac got me started again.
So I have one now. Feels good to touch it. Haha. And I also download a free trial of keynotes. Powerful. Swing, zip, twing...wow. Just WOW! What to do, it is MAC. But don't buy one. Just make sure the school gets you one to try and use it during class. To all the teachers out there, it is worth the trouble convincing the school why you want a Mac. For students, just use the PC ba.
Today is Timothy's birthday. I asked him what he wanted. He told me he wanted me to make shepherd's pie. The last time I baked a shepherd's pie was 5 years ago when I had leftover turkey. The best part was I didn't have an oven. It broke down one day when I tried to use it. So I shopped for one. What seemed like a simple, easy to make dish cost me a lot of money. Because I had to get an oven and I finally found one. But I didn't try it.
Anyhow I got up early to shop. I messaged my niece to tell her that I will be making Lasagne. Yes, I cook italian too and good too because I learn from the best, Bonita Schaufele. While I was cooking away, I started to stand with my arm at the hip. Now, Bonita will tell you that I cook like this all the time. What to do...tired from the stirring and the frying. But now my kitchen smells like Calgary. My hands have the smell of lipton onion soup mix, poultry seasoning I got from Jason's Market and lots of onions and garlic. I have my own version of the lasagne though. I changed the recipe a little to make it my own specials.
I checked for the price of frozen spinach and it would cost me eight dollars for a small pack. I decided to make my own and fry it with butter. Turned out well and I will add to my lasagne. Of course there is beef and pork. I mix them because Bonita said that they taste good together. They do. haha.
But then I had some bacon, some mushrooms and some tomatoes that I use to line my lasagne. Shall not tell you anymore or else it will be everybody's recipe.
But as I was preparing away, I listened to a CD that Joshua got me almost 8 months ago for my birthday. I was very moved by the songs within the CD. It was all about Faith. I shared with my father this morning about some issues at work. Then I got very upset over some matters and my dad told me not to get involved. Yes, I will let God mete out the judgement and work away what I have to do and have faith that He is Just and in Full Control.
As Good Friday draws nearer all the more we need to focus on the cross and remember what Christ did for us. Really no one can stir my heart other than the Lord Jesus Christ. No one. When I turn my eyes on Jesus, the things of this earth will grow strangely dim. Whether it is the championships, the awards, the house, the Mac...nothing is worth it all if not because of Christ. I have all to enjoy because God has given them to me to share.
I spoke to my boss recently and told her that I realized I am really cool. Haha. Not that I want to boast but it is very difficult to tell myself I am cool. I have the gift of teaching. I realized more and more what that means. But I thank God that He put me where I am to do what He wants me to do. I want to leave. But many of my friends told me to stay. I am finding a reason to stay. But seriously I am tired. So may be I will take a break and then come back in again. I thank God for the school I am working in. Some of my colleagues are top class and because of them I can do my work and they make me good. I want to thank those working with me in the special programme now. Their dedication to producing the best classes and bringing out the best in our students are admirable. We have our differences but we have learned over the months to agree to disagree because we can think.
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I had decided to peel potatoes and onions in a restaurant. Many of you may not know this but my dear friends will, that I actually wanted to be in the hospitality industry and be a chef. I went for a talk many years ago on going to Switzerland to study to become a chef. The student then told us that we would have to learn German and peel potatoes for the first year of our studies. I was shocked. Peeling potatoes? Yikes. So I backed out.
Today, I peeled quite a big of potatoes, chopped a lot of onions and diced finely the garlic. And all these are important ingredients in my shepherd's pie. What I thought was an unimportant job became meaningful with time. I learn to appreciate doing small things. Wonder why people cannot see that. Anyway, I have to get back to cooking my Italian dinner. And clean up my room, then go join my ex boys for dinner and later join my class for Drama. Can't wait to watch the drama though.
This was the first time I tried Baked Rice. Tiffany said the rice was great. I had two versions. One with mushroom sauce, the other is a tomato beef sauce.
Here is the Shepherd's Pie that Timothy has been waiting all these years for. I changed the recipe and I hope he liked it.
This is my lasagne I can make very well. It is time consuming and worth the wait. I made two big trays and when I came home, there was NONE left for me. Not even the Shepherd's Pie or my baked
Tonight's drama was great. I invited Joshua, Melvin, Yifong and Shaun. We had dinner and just stepped in before the drama started. We had a great time. I didn't realize that actually all 5 of us saw the production before, just that we could not remember. How time flies...almost 8 years already. Later we went for a drink. I was amazed at how good our local bands are. One called EIC. Pretty good. It was the music and the company that kept me way till midnight. But I did feel a little left out. I think the band, staring at me must be wondering what is this old gal doing here amongst the young punks in the pub. I must tell you, I really felt OLD for a short while but when the music started, I forgot how OLD I was. I learned that music really does not care about age. Old or young as long as you love music, you can get lost in it.
It is quite a day. I am going to rest now.