As I sit sipping my cup of red wine, I reflect what a great day I had today.
It is not just any Saturday. It is the first Saturday of the start of the holidays. But today was packed for me. And I wondered if I could deal with the packed schedule. Whether I like it or not, I am tired.
But my sluggish body got up after meeting my scholars the night before to celebrate their success and the beginning of another journey. I went to the doctor to get some more antibiotics because of a stubborn acne that had flared and went some where else to pop up again. Then I took the most traditional GPS system ever existed and went into a cab. I told the cab driver to send me to Dunearn Road and having no clue where the place was but my mind had an image. So off we went to 26 Dunearn Road.
As usual, I would chat with the cabbie. I often begin with the usual how long have you been driving kind of question and then went on to share with him about what I was to do this morning and afternoon. I told him I was going to see Melvin Chng, my ex boy who is sick with acute leukemia now. Then he opened up and shared that he too is in remission for stomach cancer. He took xeloda. A drug I am all too familiar. He had his nails out but mum didn't have a problem with that. Her nails were darker and softer but they were never pulled out. She looked good throughout xeloda. Even in her death, she was very beautiful. I remember mummy.
Then I got off as instructed by my student and went looking for the Parkinson Society. This project group came to me two weeks ago wanting to help the poor in this financial crisis. I asked what they would do but they have no idea. Neither have I. All I demanded that they search their hearts and give me 100% of their heart and soul, undivided dedication to the group we choose to help. They agreed. We went online to chat a bit about what we want and which organization. We single out Parkinson.
Why Parkinson? My pastor who taught me in my youth and throughout most part of my adulthood is now down with Parkinson. I am sad he is sick. He is a good man, godly and bold to speak of the Lord. His love for the Lord is not only infectious but genuine. Very hard to find this kind of preacher these days. Of course he is extreme sometimes but I thank God for Reverend Peter Ng. He taught me well and all the grounding I needed to follow the Lord was properly done. I had some more learning to do and alot of unlearning to do with the faith in Christ. But I am doing fine because in the end I realize it is my journey and one I have to take responsibility to learn from Jesus. I want to help Rev Ng. I am going to during this holiday. I am also going to meet my choir teacher, Rev Ng's sister. I will be cooking for them. Some how my heart is heavy when I think how unwell all my mentors are these days.
At four this afternoon, I went with my boss to visit Melvin Chng. Block 7. I hate to walk in there. But I had so I can go visit my ex-boy. Then ward 7. My heart sank. He was just opposite the room mum last stayed. I walked the corridor I used to walk almost two years ago. I slept along the corridor couch when keeping my mum company. SHe made it out of the room and went home and then went home to eternal rest. The corridor brought back floods of memory that today is still fresh. I began the day talking about mum and then walked down the corridor to see memories of her. But there were names I forgot already. Who is the oncologist who treated her? I had to recall..and that took me a long time. I was kind of upset that I forgot those doctors. So I called dad and he remembered all of them. Sigh! But mum is home with the Lord. That is the best place to be.
Melvin Chng was always a quiet boy. When I saw him in the bed, he was already so tall. He remembered me and my boss. He is very brave. Still holding well. But I guess he is tired from all the talking and repeating his story over and over again. I chatted with him about how he has to have faith. He is not a Christian but his dad goes to church. Like a teacher to her student, I told him to have faith. I told him that Jesus doesn't want you to do a lot of things to get well. He just want Melvin to believe. Even if this belief is the size of a mastard seed, Jesus would answer. I left Melvin with my two other ex boys who came with me. I went to speak with the parents and told them I understood their pain, their worries, their tiredness because I was there two years ago. I told them to believe in Jesus that He will carry them through. Melvin's mum cried. His father on the other hand still hanging in there but I could tell he is disturbed. Poor family! Because many people will flood them with advice and many of them were genuinely trying to help. So I told them to calm down and go and learn more about the disease and fight on. I left them my phone number so they could call me if they needed more help. Cancer is sickening to the body.But God takes care of the soul. The body rots but the soul lives on.
An hour later, we left the hospital and I proceeded to Choir Fest by the Baptist church. At first, I didn't want to go because I was rather keen to go Karaoke and sing my heart out. I needed to release some stress that is stored up over the three weeks I was back. But Joshua told me I must come. So I met up and sat down to listen to the Choir of all baptist churches in Singapore. It was a great evening. The Lord reminded me about His greatness and His great love for me and you. I was glad I went. Thank you Joshua. But I was so pleasantly surprised when at the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a familiar face trying to leave the hall. I was stunned. Then I walked slowly up the aisle and went for the door as the choir sang their encore.
I caught up and stared at the lady. Then I called a name "Meixian?" She turned. Then stunned, she stretched out her arm and we hugged. I have been looking for her too. I have been thinking of her all these years and wondering if my girl is doing okay. I wondered if she is still in Hong Kong or she is in Singapore.
Meixian went back a long ways with me. I was a new teacher in my second year in this all girls' school. Her mum had cancer. I remembered she was the monitress of her class(2/4?). The class was a good class. She always wears a smile no matter how tough the day was. But one day she broke down and cried and told me about her mum. Well, I calmed her down and I shared with her about the Lord. That would have killed my job prospects. But no one reported to the school. I gave her my bible then and left it as that. I left the school and never really met her although I think we did meet up sometimes. When I left to study in Calgary, she gave me a pen, it is a light metallic blue. I brought it with me to Calgary and during one of my lectures, I lost it. I searched the whole campus and I was very sad to lose it. This is what I could remember of Meixian and I lost it. I still remember the pen, the colour and how good it was to write with. I met her again in one of those rear moments and then we lost touch when I moved around from school to school. Changing phones here and there.
But tonight we met. We hugged and it was just so good I met her. She was looking high and low for me and found me through her sister about where I am teaching. Then she found my blog. Meixian if you are reading, I praise God for you. Thank God for you because when I remember you, I am thankful God used my little sharing to change your world. I am so blessed that my students came to know the Lord. I wish more will know this Almighty God. He is so good I wish I could show you how good God is.
Today Meixian is a mother of 2. She is also a pastor's wife. Her husband is a pastor from Hong Kong. She can speak cantonese now. I will meet her and we will catch up.
How time flies. And how bless I am with what I have. I thank God for this encouragement. She wants me to teach her son. She wanted her son to come to the school I am teaching because I am there. She has faith that this teacher will rock her son's world. But what she doesn't know is that her teacher has changed. I am now more of a tyrant. And definitely more demanding then before.
Good night friends. I have a great day. How was yours?