Monday, October 06, 2008

Rumours!

Sunday morning I woke up to find my dad sitting in front of the TV. This is what he does every sunday morning. After which we will have breakfast where I will appear in a pair of shorts before my mum's old friends. But this morning something caught my tired eyes. It was news of a Korean actress who hung herself in the toilet leaving behind two lovely children. A single mum, she was high on alcohol when they found her and just before that she spoke to her good friend and told her to look after her children. The government of Korea has since passed a law under her name to punish and fine anyone who uses internet to spread rumours about people. The site will be given 24 hours notice if the rumours are demeaning and wicked. If the site owner refused to do so, they will be severely fined. You can find out more on the internet. Before she left this world, she was found to be 31kg. She could not take the pressure. Now her kids,are left alone to fend for themselves. For a mother to do that, the rumours must have hurt and depressed her supremely. I think if she was sober, she would not have done it under pressure. So tackle the rumours, not with a numbed brain. Bring it before God's feet and tell Him all the lies you have heard.

My team has moved on since the rumors began. We are now stronger by the grace of God and we are into the fun of things again. We are now busy with our preparation right now. I have asked some friends to help me because I am not always right and I cannot be RIGHT all the time. So pray for my team and I as we go and represent the poor in this competition. I am not sure exactly what we will win. I just hope that the message that the young people today can care for the poor will propagate as we showcase the battles those in poverty have to fight.
Just about two weeks ago, Chen Xing managed to get us some funds to feed 25 families for 6 months. We were granted this because we applied for it in July. Our project is not a short term project. It will go on and on until we make it clear to Singaporeans we have a problem. A problem we refuse to see because no one can believe we are poor.

While the Millenium Goal is to eradicate poverty world wide and funds channeled to help Africa and South America, I think we need to look closer to home. Please do that. Charity begins at home and home is where the heart is. So love thy neighbours as thyself. If we are on the lookout for our neighbours, be it someone who lives beside you or someone who sits beside you in class or on the bus, then the world is a brighter place to be even if it is a short while.

Some of us are so lucky. We have friends. Some of us who are not so lucky, don't sit and mope, go out there and learn to be a friend to someone. You never know until you try.

I learn this week that my battles are not mine. They are the Lord's. I also learned that while there are those who wish me ill, there are those who pray for my protection. I praise God for my enemies. Because without them, my life is not going to be closer to God. May God bless my enemies with the wisdom to know that He is God and that He loves them very much. I cannot say I am happy to have my enemies all the time. But in times like these, I have to thank them for sharpening my mind and calling my attention to love God even more.
Have a great week.