Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The church leaders we visited

If you have never been to Henan, you should. This is the central plains of China. It is very flat like the foothills of Rockies. It is very dry and has a large population of its people below poverty line. Despite this, Henan province is the province with the highest percentage of Christians in the whole of China. Just within one city, the population of christian believers are more than the population of christians in guangdong and guangxi put together. What is the secret of this exponential growth in God's kingdom over the last 20 years or more. As I listened to the stories and meet the people, only ONE thing strikes me more than anything esle. The love of GOD these Christians have is not only true, they also love each other with great love. I am deeply moved by the work of four people.The photograph below are the four most important people we met for this trip.

The man on the left is Rev Zhu. He is about 40 years old and he has great energy. I will share about his story later on. The woman next to him is Pastor Li. She has leukemia when she was 30 and because she heard that in the village, the Christians who believe in this God called Jesus was healed, she went to look for this Jesus. In those days when China was not opened to the religious freedom, people who wanted to meet at church had to go out in the middle of the night and then moved into the fields to find their way to a house where christians gathered. So in several of these meetings, she prayed and with great faith, she was totally cured of cancer, without treatment. She is a miracle. She had a close shave with death two years ago when she broke her arm and punctured her lungs and was admitted. The doctors already asked for her family and they were told to prepare for the worst. She was to die that night. In her semi conscious state, she heard the news and then she prayed. She told the Lord that the infections and all these unhappiness did not come from HIM. She asked Him to remove it. Then that evening she threw up black blood. Her son was helping her and there were much blood. The next morning, she was healed. She could breathe better. She told the doctor she was healed. The doctor did not entertain her. But two days later, he checked her and her lungs were cleared and she was completely well. The doctor was shocked. A little more about her work in PingDing Shan city later.

Pastor Zhang sat beside Pastor Li. She is another great lady. She has another story to tell me. She has always been sick and at the age of 30, with six children, she had a heart attack. She heard in the village that you can get healing. So she attended a bible study group and got to know the Lord. All seven of them were fully healed, from high blood pressure, to chronic bronchitis to epilepsy. She said she would serve the Lord willing and without even any doubt no matter how difficult it is.

The pastor to the right is Pastor Gao. He is rather quiet but very helpful. He will speak up when things are not clear and is very analytical. I don't know much about what he did but just know that he is the president of the Christian council in Loyang.

The Henan Christian council distributed bible. We went along to observe the ceremony on Tuesday morning. We travelled 3 hours just to one church in the mountain. When we reached there, we were just amazed at how they built the church up on a slope on their own. I heard that people have walked at least 10 km just to come for the bibles. The congregation were singing. Most of them were women. The song they sang was a Psalm but i couldn't quite focus on the words because I was attracted by the tune. They sang from memory. As I interpreted for Pastor Raymond, I could see many faces tearing. I was holding back my tears because I saw a sea of many old people in the church. Most of them are women. I was told later that because it was a weekday, most of the younger people are in the field. Because all of these mountain people live below poverty line, many of the young men are out working in the city to bring home money. But the church is still very united. We were pleased to be at the ceremony


Later Pastor Zhu went to ask a lady who was crying from the beginning to the end of the distribution. He went to ask her why did she cry. She told him that she is a woman that is so despised by the county and the people in China, and yet we came from all over the world, especially America to come and bring her the word of God. How can she not be touched by this gesture. To these people it is not so much if I am a Singaporean. But very much about whether there are Americans. To their minds, America is a sacred ground and people coming from the USA to see them was like GODSEND. Well, I didn't feel bad about it because when I moved around to chat them up, they were just so friendly to me and asked me about Singapore. They were flabergasted that I could speak both languages. I told them I was effectively bilingual and gave a simple introduction of our country.

It was really not easy to stand before the church to do translation. We were there to say how excited we were and how grateful we are to China's government for giving the christians in China the freedom to read the Bible. But I realized I was not able to think as fast as I wanted to. Pastor Raymond said that he had a generic speech but it was not so generic. All of us were so choked up in tears too and so to think and interpret I had to choose to keep my cool.










After church, we went to have lunch in a room downstairs. They had killed the chickens that laid eggs for their income to cook for us, brought out their choicest pickled vegetables for us ( I tried a little but not easy to eat because of very strong taste), slaughtered a pig and harvested their black fungus and mushroom because they knew we were coming. We were so moved by their generosity. I ate fast and little because I had to watch what I eat now and then went out to mingle. I noticed they were eating a kind of sticky soupy noodle. They had to eat so they could walk home after the meeting. These ladies I met outside the little hall in the basement of the church were all too glad to talk to me. I showed them the photo I took of them and they all laughed.

There were a few children who came for the ceremony to distribute the bible too. They were all waiting for the candies that Kim and Le Shundra brought with them. All were so excited. Most of them have not heard about chocolates at all. They also don't know the kind of sweets from the states.
That is all for now. No time to write as well as I can because I am so tired by the end of the day. Will write about my thoughts later. Now it is just straight report.
Enjoy.