Tuesday, August 21, 2007

In times like these...

Dad came home on Saturday morning. I was ready for him. Cleaned up my room and made the bed so he could rest in my room. Cooked lunch and waited for Rebecca to bring him home. He was tired and still sore.

Sunday I was at church. The message was one on love. But it was the song that hit me really hard. The worship leader sang "Jesus Loves Me This I know." And it was a song mum and I used to sing with Theodora. I could not control my tears and just couldn't sing on because it was just very sad. Pastor Ben Brown announced on Sunday that IBC is given special rights to distribute bibles at the Olympics in Beijing. I have asked to go teach in Beijing in the satellite school and it is confirmed that I will leave somewhere after the Chinese New Year. Pray that my stint there will be long. I hope to catch the Olympics.


Since the national day message, I have been seriously thinking about migrating to China or Calgary. I don't wish to live to 82. I do wish to have my CPF and use it to further my mission in life...travel with the gospel. So I might just denounce my citizenship to do that and to do it soon.

On the subject of LOVE. I have been blessed recently by two of my ex boys. One of them is Terrence. I have not seen him for four years or so. Bumped into him on Sunday afternoon a few months ago and he told me he was going to back pack all the way to Cambodia. Just last week or so ago, he came to school to visit. He should be in Illinois now working on his scholarship to read Economics there. I always remember Terrence's smile and ways in which he dealt with stress from school and from class. I was shocked when some of my students who studied with him in college told me he became different. He told me that he was extremely focused and got what he wanted to further himself and just wanted to prove he could do it. But what really touched me most was the fact that he took the time in national service to find God. He found his first love for Jesus again. This is just so amazing. He has since renewed his committment to follow Jesus. He is very happy and looked fresh and ready to charge ahead. Pray for him that as he studies, he will get to know more about God too and may the study of how to amass wealth not cause him to lose sight of Jesus and His great commission.

Then later in the week, another student came to visit. He missed me by a couple of minutes. He left a note for me to contact and we decided to have lunch this afternoon. He looked so good. This was the student who came to visit me every Teacher's day and will bring a flower. I was never around on teachers' day. Finally in 2004, he got a hold of me. I was there to receive an award which I felt was totally uncalled for. When h
e found me, he told me how frustrated he was with my absence. I was actually very shocked he remembered me each year. So today, we ate lunch together and I listened to the challenges he was facing. I felt very priviledged to sit down with him because an old hag like me should live in a cave and not be seen around young men. He was not embarrassed to visit with me, all old and tired. He looked forward to the occasion so much that he got me very excited to hear him. He was telling me about his involvement in East Timor. He went there to work with the peacekeeping troops and he is only 21 this year. He also told me about his struggles in life and how he overcame some of them. He will be going to UK to do law and he has decided what kind of law he wants to do. A young man like him told me that money is not everything and he already earned his first 20000 and many more to come in the future. He has such a good head and looks after his sisters so well. I hope you all can pray for him. His name is Chuan Wei. I am very proud of him and will pray that God will bless him with the gift of salvation.

Chuan Wei also shared with me about Di Song, another one of my ex boys. He became a Christian a couple of years ago and brought his entire family to know God. Praise the Lord for these good news.


I also met Haddy today. He is studying medicine in Germany. He was shocked I remembered how he was as a student. Haddy is still the same old Haddy, speaking straight from the heart.

I am very happy that my ex students are paying forward and these boys are involved in community service, taking time off to see the world and meet people. I wish all of my boys will see the importance of serving others instead of chasing after some bubbles. I can't wait to get out and do the same.

This was a week when I basically asked God to show me why am I still here. Then God brought people I have forgotten because we have not met. He used them to tell me that was why I am still stuck in where I am.

This is also a week that God showed me what SIN is. It is a godless attitude that leads to godless actions. When we have God in our hearts, we will not falter. But when we adopt attitudes that persuade us that God can step aside for awhile and let our ego sets in, then we have SINNED. I watched how some of my ex boys live. I am kind of scared for them. Their godless attitude will bring them grave sorrows one day. So I need to go on my knees to bring them before God by name. Lest there be blood on my hands.


This morning I woke up thinking about what I wrote and the fact I need to rewrite. I shall write about teaching in my next entry. But in the mean time, God is good and greatly to be praised.