How time flies. I forgot what is the date already. I just knew that it is Sunday and almost to be Monday. Tomorrow will be another day at school and this is second week. Next week will be a round of tests for the students and then the final exams.
Mum's fourth round of chemotheraphy knocks her a little harder. She complains about loss of appetite and very tired. Please pray that this will not dampen her spirits and that she will continue to trust in God. She has refused to go to Rebecca's house in the afternoon because she said she could take care of herself. She is more comfortable at home with me and dad. But I am not so comfortable with her being alone. So pray she will be careful. Also pray that mum will get a good night's sleep every night. She told me she has bad dreams and so pray that the dreams will be sweet.
Tonight, Joshua and I had dinner at Far East Plaza. As we were eating, an older lady, probably about mum's age caught my attention because she was not only fussy but complained about being thirsty and hungry. I somehow sensed that she must be poor, hungry and alone. I was right. As I watched what she was doing, I could tell she was broke. So I struck up a conversation and found out that she is now all alone because her husband died and a year later, her one and only daughter also died. Both died of cancer. The husband told her that he wished he could die early because if he continued to live, he would use up all the savings and left her none. He did leave her $9 some seven years ago. Her daughter died at the age of 30 and left her penniless too.
She stays in Bukit Panjang but she was out at Far East to come see a lady at KFC who gives her money so she can spend some. She has been hungry since Friday. My heart broke as I listened to her. Her neighbour brought her down and she could not find her way home. I told her to finish her food and would walk her to the nearest bus stop to guide her home. Joshua was with me and together we took the woman back to Bukit Panjang and then guided her towards a bus stop she is very familiar with to take a feeder home. On our way to Bukit Panjang, she chatted like she has never spoken a word for days. I found out that she stays in a room with another couple who will lock their drawers stored with food. They gave her soap to bathe, water to drink but no food. They have also stopped her from having visitors. She is a Christian and was baptized in 2004. She asked the church for help but the help was slow in coming and so as a result, she has turned to asking people for food. I could not breathe as I listened to her.
Why do we have this issue? We are doing community service, service learning or whatever the gise is to ease our conscience. But honestly are we looking hard enough at meeting the needs of our very own.
I am angry that the government is doing so little for the poor single woman between 50 to 65. This is so as to allow poorly paid single women not to go hungry. Especially those who have not worked and have no CPF contribution. What are we going to do about them? How can we just think there are no poor people in our country? I am appalled by the insensitivity of our people towards helping. Are we so trusting that we do not know who to help so we don't help? I don't have all the answers but I do know this, if God brings someone along for me to help then I thank Him I can still help within my means.
Tonight is sad because I don't know how much good I can do for her. I gave her some money and I will be contacting the church to help her. I am very convicted we must do something for our senior citizens who have laboured for my and yours future. It is time to pay attention to them because they need a break.
Life for this older lady is hard. She told me, each day, she prays she will die soon. What a way to see the day breaks! How do you want to see day break?
Take Care
2 comments:
Dear Ms Cheong, you can contact me at terrymunweihao(at)gmail(dot)com.
Anyway I'm really sorry to hear about all the pain your mom has to go through. I can feel it vividly that kind of hurt you have in your heart since my mom always tells me how bad she feels about her best friend going through chemotherapy. She had breast cancer.
I hope that poor old woman will get some help as soon as possible. Is she informed about the availalbe welfare packages made for her? Maybe she can apply for them. But sometimes I must agree that welfare services from the government doesn't reach the poor and many of the riches are instead trying to lay their hands on them since they never think they've got enough. That kind of act by these people angers me. They are depriving others from help. How inconsiderate.
God bless that lady and your mom. Take care!
omgg. reading this brings tears to my eyes. )':
Post a Comment