Saturday, March 31, 2007

Fell Sick the last two days

The next day when I got back to work, I wrote a letter to the church for the old lady. I appealed to the church to help. Two days later, I received news from the pastor and I was to leave the issue with them. Praise God. Now we have to pray that she will accept the help and she can grow to trust God even more.

I also took the first step to contact food from the heart. I am going down this coming week to see what more I can do for the poor. Melvin, my fairy god son will be joining me in this quest. We are going to start looking up where the poor senior citizens are and start locating them so we can send help. My colleague told me that her friend comes home late from work around 1 or 2 in the morning and saw many seniors scavenging for food at Chinatown. I am asking my students to film them. This must be shown to the rest of the people in Singapore. As we sleep, there are those who are scavenging for leftovers. These are mainly lonely, old women.

Then I fell ill.


On the first day of sick leave I cooked for mum, did some chores, taught and slept. On the second day of sick leave, mum went out. Yes, she went out with a group of Richard's friends to lunch at Crystal Jade in Tampines Mall. I expected her to be home within two hours but she went for about 4 hours and I panicked.

My cousin came to visit her and instead we had a good time chatting. My cousin's niece passed away two years ago with nasal cancer at the age of 19. She cried as she talked about MeiQi. I met this young lady when she was only nine and ten years later, she died of this fatal disease. The cancer spread within a year furiously. They filled the cavities within her cheekbones, the size of an egg and because they filled up so fast, she had her right eye removed to remove the tumours inside the cavities of the cheek. Her face totally disfigured could not stop the cancer from growing within. Later the tumours spread to her mouth and protruded. The blood vessels in the tumours would burst and blood would gush out spewing across the room and if caught on time with a towel, the towel will be stained red with blood. The nurses adviced that my cousin caught the blood with dark coloured towels so as not to be too afraid. The cancer was not painful for her but in the end she died of the lack of immunity. We never really talked about it when mum was around the house. All I could do was listened and listened.

Is this ever fair? Why do good people die? I don't know how to answer. But I know this, the Lord is in control. Just as He watched over the lilies in the valley, He will watch over His very own. My part is to trust Him. Our God doesn't just leave us to fight our battles. He makes sure we have the grace to grow in this time of crisis.

My mother came home happy that she went out. But I was worried about the germs. In the end the Lord showed me that He reigns and I am praying everyday to remind myself that Mum is God's child. He will take care of mum.

How great is our God!
How great is His Name!
He is the greatest of All,
He is always the same.

May the Lord bless your week.