Saturday, January 06, 2007

6th January 2007
I am still standing after having been to school for three days. I am sure all of you are curious how I did in the school. Well, here goes.

Before I left NIE, I was advised to see the return to Hwa Chong as my mission. I searched my heart for the mission. It was not easy to find.

The night before the school reopened, I slept rather late because my room was still not ready for the new year. But I was determined to go to school by bus although dad offered to drive me. I wanted him to go on the road early so he will be able to earn enough for the day and bring mum over to Rebecca's.


The traffic jam was terrible so I got off one stop early and walked up the slope towards the assembly area. Some of the college boys saw me but were not too sure if I really returned. Soon it was time for the morning assembly. Some of the students saw me and waved, bowed and smiled. But I was really in shock.

I was greeted by some of my colleagues who welcomed the idea of my return. The whole morning I was busy trying to settle adminstration stuff and also my duties. I was glad I was not given any other consortium duties other than working on projects and research. But believe me as the day went on, I was given more duties. The administration was very kind to make sure I was not taxed and some people knew about my mother's illness.

The first day was uneventful. The second day was good. I met some of the students I will be teaching. On the first day, there was an assembly where the sec 4 Ortus boys welcomed me loudly. Later I found out that some of them were very glad I came back to Hwa Chong. But they also told me, some of them were not too happy the tyrant is back.

I have to teach another consortium and the boys in this consortium really didn't know me more than how I would scold them for making noise during the reading period. So the third day was exciting. I walked in to a class to teach about geography and I introduced myself and the demands of the course. I could sense the curiosity about what I was going to say. I also have good students who were keen to share about their opinions. They played by the rules I laid out and I found them thinking.

As I walked back from the tower block to the main office, one boy ran up from the back and shouted for me. I turned and saw Ru Jin. He is so tall now. I am also happy that he has become more matured and knows what he wants now and working towards it. Later in the night, I would meet another boy, Ernest. Both boys fought before and both were quite a handful when they were young. Both turned out so well. And Ernest asked about my mother. I am so touched that he read my blog and the ortus boys are talking about my mother and have her in their minds and heart. Later that afternoon, I saw some more boys all going for lunch at the canteen at the high school. Sam told me that if I needed any help that I should ask and the boys will come over. I am so very grateful. May be they can clean up my house again!

May be it is true that boys are boys and when they are young they are really naughty. But when they wake, watch how they will take flight.

So it was comforting for me that day. Comforting because I had a very difficult three days.

I felt as if I walked into a lion's den. I felt like Daniel. So pray for me. Pray for protection from unreasonable people. Pray that I will focus on what I have been asked to do and to do it well. Pray for all the students under my charge now. Pray that the Lord will give me wisdom to teach them and make their learning meaningful and engaging.

During my social studies classes, I asked why they have to study SS. Not a muscle moved. But I saw a lot of nodding heads when I explained the purpose of it. I used socractic questioning on Friday. So i educated them about citizenship education.

How is my mother? Well, she is eating but she is not eating very much. So my sister and I have come up with a method to get her to eat. We give her food every two hours. Food can be fruits and cookies or a hot drink.

Every night I have been preparing meals for my parents. Some days the food tastes good. Tonight, dad liked the soup I made. I liked the veggies I cooked So each day after school, I have to rush to the nearest NTUC to buy food to cook. I am so tired these days.

So pray I will have energy for the day. When it is time to rest, pray my sleep is good.

All of you take care now. Tuesday, Mum is going for the tests for the chemo. Richard's friend Simon told us there is a drug that is quite good. We will check that out. Pray for wisdom to know what to do best.

Mum's church deaconess came. They sang and praise God and read the scriptures. Mum also have the flu bug. Theodora has a mild case of HFM disease and I had to clean all the toys and all the cutlery and cups. But it was a lovely day.

Pray with my family
May the Lord bless you.


No comments: