17th Novembe 2006
The PSI has been low. It is a good thing for all of us because we can breathe easy. But for most of us in higher institutions, we are swarmed with work and exams and marking projects. It has been a tremendous week for me because I was at work collecting assignments from my trainee teachers.
The words of encouragement poured in and the first instance was to ask about my mum. I am so touched by their care and there was a warm feeling of support and love. You can almost say there was a choir of angels but not to the tune of Mr Bean. Since my joining at NIE, I have learned and grown so much. These I will take with me back to Hwa Chong. I hope to share and give in a similar way. I have many apprehensions about going back because afterall two years is a long time. I will have to readjust and adapt again. I shared my apprehensions with some of my ex students. They are actually very happy I am returning to HCI. There are boys who are waiting for me to return because they say it is a good thing for the school. I hope they are right. I used to tell my ex students that my middle name is Tyrant or Tyranny. They still laugh at me when I introduced myself years ago. One was particularly careful to remind me that he knew I was just showing off my fangs with no sting. But they were so wrong. The sting is not as terrible as the bite. Then there are some who thinks returning to HCI will take my mind off my mother and live for myself a little.
My mother has been asking me to go out and sing and have a good time and not to worry about me. I am very grateful to her. I am slowly reconnecting with the community I used to hang out with but really have been swarmed with work. I want to thank all my ex students, trainee teachers and friends for their patience to wait for me to be ready. Slowly but surely.
I do know Florence who is checking the blog everyday is hoping I will come out and sing. I will do that. Perhaps I will give her a call later today. I also have Melvin who constantly remind me he will give me a discount on his spa. This ex student, also one of my godsons, has started up his business in spa. A short 10 min spa for 10 dollars with hydrotherapy. If you are interested, tell me.
Time for resolutions for the next year again. Do you know only 40% who actually made resolutions carried them out. So make them anyway. At least we can be the 40% one fine day. What will I do next year? Sorry, couldn't tell you. But I do plan. I plan to teach with enduring understanding in mind. I plan to inspire my students to become visionary, compassionate and give back to the society they come from.
I am always heartened when students (trainees and CHS boys) tell me that I have touched a tiny section of their life. But I really want to know how I did it. Because I am very human. I display all the flaws of a normal person. So I always ask how did I do it. This way I remember to do the good thing. So don't forget to ask people how you have touched their lives.
I shared with Joshua about my monday and he shared with me about his wednesday. Wow. He stepped out of the bus and infront of him was a woman in pain. He actually looked into the matter and even accompanied the victim of a motor bike accident to the hospital. That I can say it is about RIGHT NOW! So take time to share this kind of story too. You will realize the world is a place of love and care. There are people out there who are silly enough to do the good thing.
I wish all of us can give a little and also take a little. Giving is good but we should also learn to take a little. In order to give, we must also take. Take from others the strength to carry on, take from others the courage to do good, take from others the heart to serve others.
Perhaps it is Christmas round the corner that sends me into the mood of giving. I remember the shoe boxes in Calgary. It started with the conflict in Bosnia. The good samaritan organisation approached Foothills alliance I attended when I studied there for this shoe box project. We all pack into a shoe box with a child or teenager in mind and they are to be sent with a loonie (canadian one dollar) to Bosnia. I prepared 5 shoe boxes with 5 teenage girls in mind. I bought lipsticks, candies, etc. The first year only the alliance churches were involved. Then the second year, other churches and eventually the entire city of Calgary. Every corner of the mall, you hear children carrying their shoe boxes and filling them up saying things like "No, I think this boy will need this and this girl will need that." ; "I want to give her a dollie. She has one , I have one too." Such joy!
Every Christmas there is the Salvation Army or the BB trying to get donations of rice or canned food. Do stop and give. How about starting a shoe box project too?
When you buy a gift this Christmas, why are you doing it? Who are you buying for? Why do you think this is going to cheer this person up this Christmas? Bonita is often shocked that I could guess what she bought me for Christmas. I knew what she would buy because she was always so attentive to what I need. I carry on my Calgarian tradition in the Schaufele family in my own home. There are lots of gifts for my nephews and nieces. This year will not be a ra ra affair but it will be a season for us to be thankful for because of my mother. Take a moment and think about why you celebrate Christmas.
1 comment:
lols. miss cheong, i said free trials for youuu!!
and thanks for the publicity!
Post a Comment