5th August, Saturday
Mum's fever was high starting around 5pm. I gave her two panadols and then brought her down for the jab that she has to take three times a week. This is the third shot of the week. The fever came down a little but she was warm. I stayed up the whole night trying to fight the fever. She had a little running nose. The fever broke at about 6am this morning and did not return until 5pm tonight. Iam still monitoring her but she told me to go and sleep because she will take care of herself. She wants her own body to also fight.
Let me share a little about how my family became Christians. My mother grew up with primary education during the second world war. She remembered how there was so little to eat and she had to get small fishes that she had no money to pay for. She told me they even had to scrape off the barks of trees while we had it easy. She only followed what her sisters taught her to pray to the gods. When we were young, she remembered we were all very sickly. My brother and I had fits. She used to worry a lot when we had fever and I recalled an episode of fits when I was eight. I woke up from a severe pain in my left ankle. I was told later that my neighbour had to bit my left ankle in order to wake me from my unconsciousness. They came very close to losing me because of the fever. She prayed to all the gods and she became very frustrated with them because they never heard her prayers. She threw them all in the bin. Then she didn't believe in any gods. I remember she took us to church sometimes because her aunts are Christians. As years went on, she wanted us to join a church for the sake of learning how to speak English. So all three of us went to a church nearby our house one saturday afternoon to learn to use and speak english. We joined the boys' and girls' club and from there we came to know the Lord. So coming to know Jesus and accepting Him as our personal Lord and Saviour was actually orchestrated by mum.
Years went by, she continued to remain a free thinker, visiting temples with her friends for free vegetarian meals. She also persecuted us when we were kids trying to stay away from food offered to idols. We contended and over time, she gave in. Soon, any food offered to idols given by her friends were turned down because all three of us refused to partake. But we prayed for that our beloved parents will one day come and know the Lord.
We prayed for many many years. But the wait was worth it. Mum came to know the Lord in 2000. She has promised Jesus that if He would wake my cousin up from a concussion she suffered during a car accident, she will accept Him as Lord. My cousin woke up and has since lived with my family. But mum did not go to church although she always says she will be a christian one day. We continue to pray and then the day came in 2000. She attended Dong Fang Bi Li's sharing in Bethesda Cathedral. She walked forward to the altar and said the sinners prayer. She never miss any sunday worship service since 2000. Not until she became ill. Whether rain or shine, she will be going to church. She has always asked me to go to church because she said if I had gone to church, I would be much calmer. The last year, she was involved in the Cantonese Service and Cantonese Bible Study. She may not be standing up to share about her faith but she did it with her testimony. She now will tell her friends that Jesus loves them.
My mother is very shy. But her mind is very fixed on the Lord and on peace. She hates to see us fight and she believes peace is the way to go. She always tells us that if we don't have the money then don't spend. One of the best practices is never to borrow money from anyone. I stick to this practice all my life because of her. I have learned to work for my money.
What have you learned today? I thank God when I remember my mother. She knows whom she believes. Do you?
I was just telling my good friends who had come all the way to have dinner with me tonight so that I could get some break that I actually look more and more like my mother. In the past, I always think I look like dad. Now I am beginning to notice, I do things like she does. I keep the house clean the way she wants it automatically and also found I am also just as meticulous with housework. She likes me to clean the toilets. She always says I do the best cleaning. But I don't do it often enough for her.
I have also noticed that these days, I am listened to more conversations on the trains and buses to find people really care and become disturbed by the unnecessary, at least from where I am standing. One of these days I might just write about some of them.
I hardly had a chance to watch Korean Drama. Will find some time later in the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment