Yesterday I drove three elderly to the Changi Airport for lunch. The day before, my car battery went flat and dead. Dad helped me with getting a new battery. I was fortunate that the car died right in my car park on the day after I came back from the airport where I dropped Geoff off. So now I know how to fix the car battery too. Thanks to my father.
We had a good time at the airport. It was the first time that two elderly ladies ever saw the Changi airport. It was too far for them to travel. So I am glad that I did make a little difference for them yesterday. We didn't eat dim sum this time. We ate some usual Chinese food. Then I was given a voucher for lucky draw. I went to the counter on my way to the car park and I was rudely told by the temp staff that I was not eligible because it was written. I was not informed that I have to show a receipt so I clarified that I ate at which restaurant and that I can remember the amount. To which the young man held up the voucher and told me it was written in bold. Well, I was pissed. It was not bold. It was in fine print. And with my long and short sightedness, I could not have read it at all. I told him to his face that I will complain and he told me I could because he was only a temp staff. I was furious!!!
Off I went to the counter, located the organizer and phoned...three times. The organizer got back to me very quickly and took care of the matter. I wanted to know the name of the temp staff and what actions were to be taken. Changi Airport staff is really professional. I got the name of the temp staff. He was given a verbal warning and then will be issued a written warning. The issue is not that I cannot get my mystery gift. The issue is his rude behaviour at the very important and international facility in Singapore. I cannot tolerate such young arrogance. Well, it may be a temp job. But he is an ambassador for Singapore and he should be better trained to serve customers at the airport. He is lucky I am a Singaporean and he gets educated. He should thank me because if he doesn't know it now, he will assume his behaviour is acceptable. Airport staff was really good. She tracked my receipt down, will give me my gifts and because I am also a Changi airport friend, I have another mystery gift. And I have 5 chances to a lucky draw.
Sometimes we need to fight for our rights. We cannot just sit and wait for things to happen. Passion is one thing. Grabbing the opportunity when the time comes is also important. I believe my case was strong because I cannot tolerate young foolishness and arrogance.
Young people today must learn that our country will be in their hands. They will handle people who are not going to tolerate such absurd arrogance. Whether it is a temp job or not, the important thing is that it is a job and it needs to be done well.
Give of your best and you will be richly rewarded. Don't take a job as a job. Take it like it matters. If I teach like it is a job, I won't last this long. In whatever we do, we must give it the best shot and not short of the best. Perhaps that is my motto. And of course school is starting. I will give some of my shots...ahahhaha. I hate to go back to school. But I know right now I need the money...hahahaha.