Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Many Takeaways from the school

I sat in my office this morning, two days after the celebration on Monday thinking about what to do. I decided to blog instead.This morning we told our students in Sec 3 that this will be the last show we want to do for the school. Next year will be a different ball game for all of us. This includes the boys too.

I sat after my bowl of fish noodles and reflected on what are my takeaways. I find in all my takeaways, it is my students that bless me the most.

The first takeaway from the school are my two godsons. It has not been easy trying to get to know and accept them as my godchildren and starting a god family. For someone who always believe in the free spirit, I find myself more and more tied down over the years. It sort of give me the feeling of what it is like to be responsible for someone else's life but also showed me the many skills I don't have to handle a relationship that is this close.

When parents complain about their children to me, I only entertain them with the usual "I understand". But now I can truly say I understand because both my godsons are very much like me, rebellious, pompous and sometimes incorrigibly rude. However like all parents, I will always find the ones I own to be precious no matter how insidious they may be, find them special though notorious and absolutely loveable at all times be they bad or good.

So are my students. They gave me the joy to teach. Gave me the reason to get up in the morning, sleep so late at night because they are worth the attention I put in my work. They also bring me to my knees before God when they make the most stupid mistake. Mistakes that can shake my world and rock my heart and send me running to God. My life as a teacher is never, ever boring and I am not boring because I can tell so many stories because of them. Stories about them included courage to overcome difficulties when they meet them. Stories loaded with laughter about the silly things they do in class without my watchful eyes on them. Stories sprinkled with conflicts at home and with friends in the class all mapped into my brain.

The school has given me all these good memories. They are all good because even in the bad memories, I remember how I must draw closer to God.