My dear Friends
I bring good news. 12 homes in the Pipit Road area were adopted out and we met them on 17th January. The homes were adopted by students of the Humanities Programme in my school. At first, when the programme was introduced, there were many unhappy students because it means they have to set aside more time other than their studies to interact with a total stranger. My team and I faced a lot of discouragements. We were told that we are only doing this to further our cause and to give us a chance at the Michigan competition. I don't deny there is vested interest but I always think if the school doesn't support then who can my team turn to first. There were fears that teachers will once again say that my team is "USING" the school. My team and I have come to one conclusion, setting aside all the ugliness of human nature, we decided to thicken our skin and launch it. Rather than justify over and over again the need to help the poor, we have decided to go ahead. I am very proud of my team. They told me that we are no longer working for Michigan but for the poor in Singapore. So as I stood before my HP students, I told all of them that we are already winners without even going to Michigan. It is about a dream come true.
When I arrived at the Paya Lebar MRT station, I saw many boys all ready to go to the Pipit Road area. All bought $35 worth of food for the family they adopted. It is the first time they are visiting the family. I am deeply moved by all the boys who came. Many of them said they have not been to such a home. Many said it was the highlight of the week. After a briefing at the Moral Family Services, we set out.
The students learned many things. One of which is that the poverty is indeed real. They also learned they don't have the language skills and they lack communication skills. I was rather impressed with the sec 3s that went with me. They were extremely generous.
I am so relieved that we finally got everything started.