Monday, November 03, 2008

Busy with cooking porridge

The weather in Beijing is actually nice. Not too cold most of the days. But when the wind blows hard, it is really a nuisance. Quite a few of my boys are sick with diarrhoea. One anxious mother called up her friends in Beijing to check on her son. The son took the medicine the doctor prescribed and the diarrhoea worsens. But do you believe or not, virus can go through doors. From room 13 to room 14. Somehow it bounces off to room 8 and room 4 now. I made all my boys disinfect their rooms as of Monday. I hope to reduce the impact of the virus.

Today we went to the heavenly temple. This is my third time. I didn't go in straight away. Instead I went to a cafe and had my tiramisu and my blackforest cake with a cup of latte. When I eventually emerged from the cafe half an hour later, I found some interesting characters.

There was a blind girl singing 邓丽君's songs. I turned towards the melodious voice and started humming along. I took a shot of her and then moved on in search of my groups. Along the long corridor to the heavenly temple main gate, there were people dancing, playing card games, knitting and some were just sitting around to listen. Most of them are above 50 and they just wanted to have company. When I finally arrived at the gate, I had to purchase another ticket. I decided not to and back tracked to where I started.

I found a group of people exercising. They were clapping hands and I joined in. They clapped and repeated the words of the leader, a woman in red slack. She was shouting something like there is super energy and the energy is in 天坛。A woman finally came out of the group. I asked her if this is about buddhism or some kind of martial arts. She told me it is for health and no strings attached. I continued and 20 minutes later, I moved to the blind girl singing. I managed to sing along with her for quite a few of the songs. And it was so good to hear something beautiful.

Of all the times I visited 天坛,I love this time the most. I had the entire time to myself. All two hours!

Work is not as stressful in Beijing for me. My dad had an operation to remove stones in his gall bladder just on the 30th October. I was a little worried because I didn't want to know any bad news. His operation was not a small one. Instead of having a laser to remove the stone (size of a chocolate ball), he had to be cut open. The former wound from his kidney stones caused the nerves to be fused with his intestines. As such they could not see with the laser. After the operation, he complained it was painful. I am thankful for all the prayers and all the help from my family back home. I told my sister I will give her a big red packet for Christmas.

God is good. I am fighting a bad cold and cough. Cough always hit me bad and I will probably lose another kilogram or two. My appetite has been poor because the food is not as appetising. But I am trying to eat. Nothing I really like.

Strange as it might sound but I am beginning to feel detached from Beijing. I don't feel as intense as I was here four months ago. May be it is because I am so far off the beaten track since I left Beijing and the things in Singapore are just overwhelming.

Recently, I heard some news regarding a colleague who resigned. What was interesting was that no body wants to work with her and yet these ones insist that we must take her back into our programme. So now everybody is upset with my programme director for not wanting her but they too don't want her. Most of the time, these same ones who have to look good and kind are the same ones who wanted this person out of the school.

Some asked me if this person's resignation is a piece of good news to me. I really don't care if she is gone or she stays because the damage she has done and the rumors she has spread cannot be undone. I will continue to live and continue to believe that God will deal with her. But I pray for God's mercy to be upon her because in the end she is a sister in Christ and in the end we will be in heaven if she really believes the Lord will deliver her. I know the Lord will work on her as she waits for the Lord's return. There is no hatred or anger on my part. I only hope the resignation will give her time to work through some very deep hurts she may not be aware of and is taking out on others.

God works in mysterious ways and we all know it. His ways may not be ours and He wants us to trust Him with the plans. I don't know what lies in the year 2009 but I know all things are possible because of who our God is and not because of who we are.