When I was told last year that I could finally come to Beijing, I was not sure what to expect. The colleagues who returned prepared us really well for the work and the kind of students we were to expect. I was actually overwhelmed. I also had to better some trust issues before coming and decided the best thing is to trust the Lord. I remember how the Lord helped me through the most difficult times of my life. He brought along friends who will pray for and with me from around the world. And I am sure all of you are praying for me everyday that I will survive.
I have not been really well. I am still fighting an infection. It is only coming to Beijing that I realize how bad my health is. I also realize what it means to be sick and over in China. I also have to deal with the possibility of moving to Beijing for good and there are things I have to work with if I want to be here for good. And God is teaching me alot of things about me moving here.
People in Beijing are not as friendly at first. They have a certain attitude. The "I am high class" attitude. I challenged that with niceness. I won by the grace of God. There are two wardens looking after our boys. When I met Huo laoshi, wow, she was stern looking. But I know she was only being uptight about meeting another group of teachers. I smiled. I made sure I asked her when I was in doubt and that made her feel important. I didn't ask her about the boys. I asked her about Beijing. Something she is always so proud of. As a result, her attitude also changed towards our boys. Now, she looks after me too. Wonderful. Actually all the wardens are nice. One even shares her food with us one night when she saw us eating just flavoured rice and chicken. We thought our food was quality but she thought we needed some pickled veggies to go with it. And we ate, a little.
I also learned to push my way in the crowd. It was awkward at first, but now I am pro. Each morning when I come down the elevator, there will be tons of people waiting to get up. The building we are staying is an insurance office block. Imagine all these insurance agents rushing to work! So I don't say excuse me, they don't give you time to do that. They will push themselves in first. So now I learn to push my way through first. No need to feel sorry. This is Beijing.
Last night, Julian and I went to the pubs in Beijing to scout. This area around the lake has many, many pubs with live bands in each pub. What a sight! There were so many singing talents, superstars in the making. Some were full, while others were empty with the singer standing there, enjoying his or her voices. We were looking for a chicken wing store that is reputed to be the best for the locals in Beijing. Soon, our friend Allen Chen came and brought us to this very old house. It was crowded at 10pm. The shop sells only chicken wings and I found them to taste like satay. Allen drove so he was not allowed to drink too much beer. Julian and I had two beers between us. I drank less than half the bottle. The local beer is of low quality so I was drinking sparkling water instead. I didn't even feel tipsy. But Tsingtao is different. Excellent beer and cheap too. My students told me that in Beijing, you can buy beer at 12 years old but you can only drink it at 18. This is funny, don't you think? The 12 year old may drink the beer after buying it!
Who is Julian? Well, he is a 17 year old Australian boy who is visiting our campus in Beijing. He is taking a year off school so he could travel. He will be spending 7 months in China and yes, he speaks good mandarin and eager to learn too. He does speak English too.
So last night was interesting. Julian, Vincent and I will be going there again, before Julian leaves because the pubs do sell coffee and we just want to listen to live singing. Seriously.
There is life after school in Beijing!
I thank God for protection every day. I thank Him for the grace and the joy in serving Him. I thank God for my students in the Beijing Satellite Campus. They are very interested in learning and gaming too but they are also able to look after each other. They have grown, especially my Voyagers. They have been very tolerating of the food and working within the boundaries I set. I am grateful for that. They also try hard to keep their dorms clean although room 10 and 13 are still terrible. They will change this week. Some are still blurr like a squid in its own ink. But the water will clear.
Then I have my High Flyers who are so exciting to watch. They are the most positive of all the groups and extremely caring of their teachers. I love this bunch the most because they are willing to try. To me, as long as the students try, it makes a difference.
Not to mention is my last group of students, the VIctors. These are the most mixed group. There are some who have been here for three months before and are now back for another three. There are those who are coming for two months. But they all move as a block too. The experienced Victors will lead in most of our tours they have been to many times. I admire their patience. Although they are beginning to feel tired and I do hear their murmurings, they still plough on. That is the kind of spirit. The two months Victors will soon be given tasks to take leads too. Because they all have to take turns to shoulder the burden.
God is good all the time. Whether I am unwell or well. The Sun shines brightly today. I will be off to do some shopping before heading back to unload and load again.
I am working on another project with Allen Chen. I am collecting story books that are in good condition for the rural primary schools in Beijing. I am burdened for China, especially for the poor with no education. I met Allen Chen, the person in charge of looking after the satellite campus and he shared about his sister's passion to help the rural schools. I am so happy to be able to do something. So if you have books you want to give, send them over to me at school on the 24th. I will be there for a while and then to meet my buddies for a singing session in the afternoon. The whole day will be gone and then I leave 6am on the 25th with another batch of Voyagers. They better be ready for me!